Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep Wake Failure macOS High Sierra 10.13.2

Since I updated to macOS High Sierra on December 18, I have been getting a Sleep Wake Failure on my 27" iMac. Can I fix this or do I need to take it in to Apple?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 10:33 AM

35 replies

Jan 5, 2018 10:40 AM in response to ingramjackie

Possible Fixes for El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  3. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  4. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
  5. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  6. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  7. Download and install theOS X El Capitan 10.11.6 ComboUpdate or 10.12.6 Combo Update or macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update as needed.
  8. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  9. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

z

Jan 20, 2018 3:35 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I appreciate your advice but I did all of that and it still auto-restarts. Reset SMC, NVRAM, SRAM, restarted in Recovery, used Disc Utility First Aid in Recovery. Yesterday took hours (used 2nd security option of 2 rewrites) to erase HD and reinstall OSX all from recovery. Then of course got update notification so updates with recent Supplemental. Nothing changed. I think this has got to be a problem with High Sierra. I've had this issue since 1st High Sierra installation months ago.

**Previous to erase/reinstall, when I started in Safe Mode got a lot of flickering on monitor and slower response on everything. Some programs are disabled by design. BUT, it DID NOT RESTART during a roughly 24 hour test period. Normally restarts randomly within minutes to hours. I don't know what this means or how this can help. Any thoughts?

late 2012 iMac 21"

Jan 26, 2018 5:50 AM in response to ingramjackie

I was just told yesterday that this is a "known reported issue" I said well is it a bug? Apple guy said we do not like to call anything a bug because there are bad vibes with it... we call it a known reported issue. That is just fine Apple, whatever you want to call it... just fix the "known reported issue" so there will be NO "known reported issues".....

It is so frustrating to feel that Apple is not telling us the truth... my first senior advisor keeps telling me to take it to the apple store to wipe it out... really for a software bug = known issue!!!!!

Jan 26, 2018 6:41 AM in response to ingramjackie

I went the radical way and reinstalled the OS. All data is simply copied from an external hard drive, without copying the folder Library. The problem has not gone away. Diagnosis shows that everything is ok. Resetting SMC and NVRAM does not help either. If not mistaken, the problem appeared with the release of 10.13.0.

Feb 12, 2018 6:46 PM in response to bdespatie

Most of the time it "crashes" when sleeping and then gives the sleep wake failure notice. Sometimes it randomly does a double, back-to-back restart while sleeping. I have found that it seems to have less sleep wake failures if I close all apps and manually put it in sleep mode, but not a lot less.

What can we do to get this issue fixed? I report it every time.

May 22, 2018 6:41 AM in response to ingramjackie

Same issue here with iMac 5k 2017

Seems to have started recently like 2-3 months ago with a crappy update

No fix,

Always sleep wake failure, iMac is rebooted when wakin up and my thunderbolt and USB3 connected drives are disconnected...bad

it also crashes the Lightroom library which is not so good

Grrrrr !

I ticked not to go to sleep when screen is off and wait for a fix...

Jun 9, 2018 3:21 AM in response to 神舟号

Yes, I spoke too fast...

The problem is back. Grrrr

But It doesn't seem to have rebooted, just disk eject failures (my usb and thunderbolt disks say they've not been correctly ejected)

It may depend on the open apps, I had Lightroom open and it failed.

Then it failed again with Photoshop and itunes open.

I'll try again with no open app.

Maybe a problem with power nap ?

Jun 10, 2018 12:09 PM in response to 神舟号

In fact I haven't seen the (sleep wake failure) error message and my iMac (5k, late 2017) hasn't rebooted since the last upgrade (10.13.5).

What I witnessed is that my connected disks (2 USB3 and 2 Thunderbolt) may get disconnected went the iMac goes to deep sleep AND (and this seems to provoke it) I have Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop open.

As for now I have mail, chrome and itunes open, my 4 disks are connected and show in finder and I've just woken it up from a few hours sleep and all went ok.

Sleep Wake Failure macOS High Sierra 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.