Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Renders Text In PDFs Blurry

I noticed that at some point OS X Preview started rendering the text in PDFs really badly. The text looks a little bolder than it actually is, and it seems blurry. Opening the exact same PDF in Adobe Acrobat looks the way it looks in the app I create the PDF in.

Anyone else getting this?

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see a "smooth text and line art" option in my Preview. I went and changed the 1 point equals 1 screen pixel option. It made no difference.

I fired up TextEdit in OS X and just put in some text and saved it out as a PDF, then opened it in Preview and Acrobat. The same result – Preview's text is bolder than it actually is, and a little fuzzy. Screenshots attached.

Preview:

User uploaded file

Acrobat:

User uploaded file

From Illustrator – Preview:

User uploaded file

From Illustrator – Acrobat:

User uploaded file

There is a clear bolding of the text in Preview.

And what's weird is if I take the same PDF and bring it into Apple's Keynote, the PDF is rendered correctly. It's only in Preview I'm having an issue.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 11:46 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see a "smooth text and line art" option in my Preview. I went and changed the 1 point equals 1 screen pixel option. It made no difference.

I fired up TextEdit in OS X and just put in some text and saved it out as a PDF, then opened it in Preview and Acrobat. The same result – Preview's text is bolder than it actually is, and a little fuzzy. Screenshots attached.

Preview:

User uploaded file

Acrobat:

User uploaded file

From Illustrator – Preview:

User uploaded file

From Illustrator – Acrobat:

User uploaded file

There is a clear bolding of the text in Preview.

And what's weird is if I take the same PDF and bring it into Apple's Keynote, the PDF is rendered correctly. It's only in Preview I'm having an issue.

Jan 5, 2018 12:32 PM in response to tallscot

It looks like you are using an Arial font, and I would not recommend it for text destined to a PDF that is viewed with Preview. Use a different sans-serif font instead. Arial will show darker in Preview than in Acrobat Reader DC, and not just with macOS High Sierra either.

My suggestion about selecting the smoothing of text and line art was removed by Apple after El Capitan which is where I had Preview open, when I responded earlier.

Jan 8, 2018 1:36 AM in response to tallscot

I have the same issue on my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015) since I installed High Sierra shortly after release.

Not only PDF I do create, but all PDF content I have.

Now it's High Sierra version 10.13.2 (17C88) and the problem is still there. It seems to be a very well known problem as it was reported many times, in different languages, to Apple.

It's indeed very annoying to me; I couldn't find any fix. Only solution seems to forget about Preview (!!) and switch to Google Chrome for instance. But it's not a solution to me.

Also, after the update to High Sierra, I lost all the comments I had included in a PDF document (important 60pp work document ...) with Preview with the previous 10.12 version (up to date) I had before. Only empty sticky notes in my document now. I guess other users have the same kind of problems.

==> Really no bug fix coming...?

It's not easy to switch to another software after decades (...) using Preview being quite satisfied with it.

Thanks if anyone has information about this.

Feb 23, 2018 6:57 AM in response to tallscot

I can sadly only confirm this thread (10.13.3). Bold characters like in a Excel document exported to PDF are completely unreadable unless zoomed in several times. Then still. All normal when pdf opened with Adobe. Never had this issue before.

OS X continues its downwards fall. With each update/upgrade I come across flaws, issues, instabilities in many OS X apps and with worked well before. Like they never had time to really debug their os's before release. Twenty years ago (Apple addict since early nineties but it is getting intoxicating...), this would simply be unthinkable within Apple Inc.

I am still 'acting like a die hard Apple fan' but doing so results in quiet some collateral damage. More and more...

The hours I lost to find out what goes wrong mounts to an incredible figure.

Hop on to the next frustration!

Mar 18, 2018 10:20 PM in response to liv0123

I have a 2011 iMac 21". I opened a PDF in preview and it's really blurry... what's interesting is that the same PDF on my MacBook Pro 13Inch early 2015 looks great.

I realize that my Macbook has a retina display and my iMac does not, but it's not a low res issue because other text, or when opening with Acrobat reader it's much clearer than the Preview.

Preview Renders Text In PDFs Blurry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.