Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive showing incorrect used space

Hello,

I've been trying to get the hard drive on my MacBook Air (purchased less than two months ago) to show the correct used space. I've only put 13.5gb of music, 15.5 gb of videos and not even a gigs worth of pictures and Pages documents on so far. Maybe about a month ago the hard drive (Disk Utility) showed the correct amount of space used. I did have trouble with iTunes creating duplicates of every file, but I fixed that.

Here are some pictures:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Note that nothing shows up in the iTunes spot but there is music if you open iTunes. Documents is showing the correct amount of things I've put on the hard drive. So if the iTunes and System were empty, I wouldn't have a problem.

I've tried reindexing Spotlight, and First Aid, neither of which did anything. I backed-up Time Machine just before taking that picture so it's not local snapshots. I've also deleted the music but that just added it all to System.

My only guess is an update screwed things up. I'm currently running 10.13.2 of High Sierra and it originally came with Sierra. Or somewhere there are duplicates of everything. Another thing, the System numbers do change every so often.

How can I get my 30-ish gigs back? Please help.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 11:29 AM

11 replies

Jan 5, 2018 3:54 PM in response to BunchesofOats

Yes, you will, yes it fluctuates, yes and no, snapshots uses what it needs, I have 44MBs in iTunes and it shows 7, yes you can stop it and delete them, but I don't recommend it, you need to use the terminal app, you can type in: tmutil listlocalsnapshots / just to look ... I only keep 40 GBs or less on my BOOT DRIVE ... Do you have everything turned on in iCloud >system preferences? Also do you have OPTIMIZED STORAGE turned on in ABOUT THIS MAC> MANAGE>RECOMMENDATIONS? You do this by going into iTunes>preferences and selecting ADVANCED tab ( make sure your logged in ) then check second tab down OPTIMIZE STORAGE. My photos app show 199MBs in the finder but only 154MBs under about this Mac> Manage storage. No two ways about it, its confusing due to the caching, snapshots and iCloud. Also, do you have auto backup turned on in Time Machine? You may try unchecking it and leave it off for a day, then turn it back on .. Last time I ran disk utility, I counted and watched it go through 20 snapshots, the space is there. If you Get info on your boot, what does that read? The OS eats up 10-14 GBS, My apps use 23GBs and user folder is 6.4GBs - about 41-42 GBs .. so minus that from 250GB SSD, its 208GBs with 5GBs in purgeable memory. My BOOT drive fluctuates between 203-205GBs, it actually adds up.

User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2018 5:28 AM in response to BunchesofOats

One last item, I totally forgot, my TM backup froze and quit at some point last month, then I started having some issues, wondering if you may have had that problem or the TM disk ejected unexpectedly. Anyway here is a good link on the thread I read, it explains whats going on and why with other good links for info. It also has the terminal command to ZAP the backups ( again, I don't recommend it ) I also included a screen capture while I was inside Time Machine. You can see it makes files called Macintosh HD@snapshots.localXXXXX. I right clicked at the top of the finder window to get the drop down menu to expose the hidden path, again this is just. FYI and its what I ran into. Says I have 68 GB when I only had 45 GBs and there were 6 of them, when it hit 78GBs, I finally just did a clean install from a bootable thumb drive I made of High Sierra, in the end that was the FIX and system works fine other than it still has glitches and bugs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8090544

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jan 6, 2018 7:09 PM in response to toastosxDC

Re-indexing didn't do jack. But...I fixed my music showing up in Documents and iTunes. Turns out I had to put my music files into Automatically Add to iTunes and have it sort things how it wanted. Now there's just the 15 gb in Documents, and iTunes should read the correct amount once I find the rest of the music (it couldn't find it once I put in my old library with all the plays and ratings). But System is still wonky. Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon. Thanks again.

User uploaded file

Jan 5, 2018 1:40 PM in response to toastosxDC

So I'll get my 30gb back? Just to reiterate, I put 30gb on and everything says I've used 53-60gb (it keeps fluctuating in that System folder). Does snapshot really need to take up that much space? And why does the iTunes say it's using 14gb when nothing shows up in it (look at the first picture)? Is there a way to stop snapshot from doing anything? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2018 6:21 PM in response to BunchesofOats

I don't either, but it looks like your having the same issue I had a few weeks back, some of my files were FETCHING where there should have been a user name in permissions. Boot in safe mode ( hold shift while rebooting ) then zapping the PRAM did some magic, but yes those look like snapshots. THIS IS BIG and 99% sure it'll help, I erased my time machine and started fresh, also, kept it from auto backup from the beginning ... that seemed to work. Sorry, so many glitches and bugs, I can't keep up with how I fix them all. Good luck .. I feel your pain my friend, I really do.

Jan 6, 2018 10:35 AM in response to toastosxDC

I backed up TM on my external hard drive for the first time about a week ago, after the problems started. I tried deleting the local snapshots and it got rid of maybe a gig or two. I booted in Safe Mode but nothing seemed to change.

What I really need to find out is why that iTunes folder says it has the 14 gigs in it and nothing shows up. If I look in the Documents folder all my music is in there, so it's like it's made a copy for some reason.

I've deleted the backups from the external hard drive too, but haven't put them back on yet.

I would try and reinstall High Sierra but my current internet won't support any major download.

Right now everything's holding steady at 52gb being used, so I'm only 22gb off. Yay.

Jan 6, 2018 12:54 PM in response to BunchesofOats

Open Terminal, paste the following command, and type your password at the prompt:

sudo mdutil -E /

This will trash the existing Spotlight index and re-index your drive (your Mac sees the current free space based on this calculation). After entering it, restart your Mac, and it should be fine (at least it worked for me).

I have submitted feedback to Apple so hopefully it gets on their radar

Jan 6, 2018 8:32 PM in response to BunchesofOats

Well thats all partially good news, I'm glad you made headway. Mac OS has gotten a bit out of hand. It's har keeping up with it. Actually my Mail at one point was stuck in the manage storage window, at 180MBs and I NEVER keep more Than 10-20Mbs in there. I think I had to log out of my account and back in while standing on one leg. Wonky is a good way to describe it, I have used Mac OS since SYSTEM 7.5 (1994-5) and the last 4-5 years have been rough. Things don't refresh and update quickly as they should, files and folders just act weird, settings don't stick, wi-fi issues, software bugs, iCloud etc. UGH... I am using a Mac Pro with 64GB of memory and dual D500s, with all SSD internal and RAID-0 external and things still bog down .. sorry I couldn't be more help, keep me posted, I would like to know how it turns out, hands on, I could do more, bit not over the net. I will keep looking .. Peace

Hard drive showing incorrect used space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.