Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Advanced Mac Cleaner pop ups

I have not downloaded the Advanced Mac Cleaner but the advertisement continues to pop up in various forms. I followed one suggestion (which I do not remember) and the pop ups stopped for a couple of days. Now they have started again. I am an old man with little tech knowledge. Please help.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016), High Sierra

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 8:37 AM

Method to remove Advanced Mac Cleaner App .

Enter in System library .

Click on finder > Take the cursor on top menu bar > Go > computer > Macintosh HD

Search the app in following folder .

( a ) Applications - Advanced Mac cleaner

Enter in User library , click on finder > Go > hold option key > click on library .

( a ) Folder Advanced Mac cleaner - click on it , the followings .plist are found .

msets.plist

rlist.plist

( b) In Application Support folder of Mac , there is a subfolder Advanced Mac cleaner

params.plist

Settings.plist

( c) Folder amc

amcuninstall

com.pcv.amcuuninstall.plist

com.pcv.hlpramcn.plist

helperamc

Inf.Adit

( d ) Folder Caches of Mac these are two remnants of the app .

com.Pcv.hlpramc

com.pcv.hlpramc

( e ) Cookies folder of Mac

com.pcv.hlpramc.binarycookies

com.pcv.rlistupdater.binarycookies

com.techyutils.cleaner.binarycookies

( f ) Folder hlpramc

Web settings.plist

( g ) Folder Launch Agents of Mac

com.pcv.hlpramcn.plist

( h ) Folder logs of Mac there are two log files .

helperamc.log

Advanced Mac Cleaner.log

( I ) Preferences folder of Mac

com.pcvhlpramc.plist

com.techyutils.cleaner.plist

( j ) Click on download folder , right click on the advancer cleaner file and delete .

amc_amc apstm.pkg

( k) Users and groups - open the pad lock by entering admin password .

Click on Login items - Advanced Mac Cleaner select the box , the app will be highlighted and click on subtract sign .

These are the files of Advanced Mac cleaner found in system library and user library folders , the individual advanced Mac cleaner folder and .plists found in subfolders are to be deleted .

Open finder > in applications folder right click on Advanced Cleaner app a prompt appears .

Advanced Mac Cleaner helper requires permission to complete the uninstallation .

Please provide the admin password to the next screen continue .

( a ) cancel

( b ) ok

Click on ok .

Again a prompt will appear enter user password .

You have to enter it correctly the app is removed permanently with its remnants also .

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 8:37 AM in response to alice_srq

Method to remove Advanced Mac Cleaner App .

Enter in System library .

Click on finder > Take the cursor on top menu bar > Go > computer > Macintosh HD

Search the app in following folder .

( a ) Applications - Advanced Mac cleaner

Enter in User library , click on finder > Go > hold option key > click on library .

( a ) Folder Advanced Mac cleaner - click on it , the followings .plist are found .

msets.plist

rlist.plist

( b) In Application Support folder of Mac , there is a subfolder Advanced Mac cleaner

params.plist

Settings.plist

( c) Folder amc

amcuninstall

com.pcv.amcuuninstall.plist

com.pcv.hlpramcn.plist

helperamc

Inf.Adit

( d ) Folder Caches of Mac these are two remnants of the app .

com.Pcv.hlpramc

com.pcv.hlpramc

( e ) Cookies folder of Mac

com.pcv.hlpramc.binarycookies

com.pcv.rlistupdater.binarycookies

com.techyutils.cleaner.binarycookies

( f ) Folder hlpramc

Web settings.plist

( g ) Folder Launch Agents of Mac

com.pcv.hlpramcn.plist

( h ) Folder logs of Mac there are two log files .

helperamc.log

Advanced Mac Cleaner.log

( I ) Preferences folder of Mac

com.pcvhlpramc.plist

com.techyutils.cleaner.plist

( j ) Click on download folder , right click on the advancer cleaner file and delete .

amc_amc apstm.pkg

( k) Users and groups - open the pad lock by entering admin password .

Click on Login items - Advanced Mac Cleaner select the box , the app will be highlighted and click on subtract sign .

These are the files of Advanced Mac cleaner found in system library and user library folders , the individual advanced Mac cleaner folder and .plists found in subfolders are to be deleted .

Open finder > in applications folder right click on Advanced Cleaner app a prompt appears .

Advanced Mac Cleaner helper requires permission to complete the uninstallation .

Please provide the admin password to the next screen continue .

( a ) cancel

( b ) ok

Click on ok .

Again a prompt will appear enter user password .

You have to enter it correctly the app is removed permanently with its remnants also .

Feb 28, 2018 8:24 AM in response to cappsgt

Open safari preferences - click on websites . in content blockers you can select as on .And if you have accidentally installed Advanced Mac cleaner and you are unaware of it , click on finder - applications you will find its presence , right clicking on app and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash moves an app , and if you want to know detail information how to remove each and every file of that app , from Mac that can be provided .

Content Blockers

For the sites you specified, choose one of the following:

• On: Stop ads and other unwanted content from appearing on the site.
  • Off: Don’t block ads and other unwanted content on the site.

Feb 4, 2018 8:21 PM in response to cappsgt

There are many posts on how to do this - but the first thing to try is to erase all of your browser cookies. If using Safari/High Sierra, click on the main Safari app title in the upper left hand corner, then Preferences, Privacy, Manage Website Data, and follow the prompts to delete existing cookies. If you're knowledgeable on finding just the cookies that might be infected, go for it; I find that a complete deletion of cookies eliminates the Clean Your Mac pop ups and is worth the temporary hassle of losing and having to re-establish my favorite website auto logins. Good luck.

Feb 28, 2018 8:02 AM in response to cappsgt

I tried all the suggestions of removing cookies, deleting the Mac Cleaner app (it just kept coming back), and some other things. Nothing helped and I thought I would be living with the darn thing forever. Then I had an application called Webroot installed on my Mac as part of a package of software that was required by a consultancy job. I didn't ask it to find Mac Cleaner it just did so on its own and flagged it as a virus. I was able to delete the files and haven't seen the popups in a week.

Feb 28, 2018 8:30 AM in response to tygb

The problem that I had was not related to Safari and nothing I did in Safari got rid of it. The Mac Cleaner app kept appearing in my Applications list and the popup ads would appear on my desktop. Safari wasn't open. I would drag the Mac Cleaner app to trash, empty trash, shut down the computer and wait a while. When I turned the computer back on the Mac Cleaner app would once again show up in the Applications list and the desktop pop up ads would appear. It is a totally hateful company.

How to remove Advanced Mac Cleaner pop ups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.