Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook slows down when switched to discrete gpu

This is a really weird one: I have a MacBook pro retina early 2013 with a dedicated gt 650m gpu and when I switch to it (yes to the dedicated not to the integrated) my MacBook slows down. It lags especially when switching between desktop and scrolling but the overall performance is worse as well. I restarted the machine, and this still happens and rested the PRAM as well. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 2:04 PM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2018 2:18 PM in response to danEgry

There are numerous report that the graphics capabilities of High Sierra, especially concerning NVIDIA GPUs, are not up to par with earlier releases of MacOS.

Some users have seen improvements by downloading newer drivers from the NVIDIA web site.

Others have thrown up their hands and reverted back to Sierra for fast, trouble-free operation. But "Going Back" is not trivial -- it requires you to make at least one complete Backup (preferably two by different means) and erase your drive, or use a new, blank drive.

Jan 5, 2018 7:39 PM in response to danEgry

MacOS has never been willing to install Old-over-new.

The way you go back is too make a complete Backup of everything: your files, your preferences, your added Applications (or all Applications).

Then start with a blank drive.

Install the MacOS you desire.

Restore the things you want from your Backup.

Your userid, including your documents and preferences, is stored thus:

/Users

your user-short-name

your spouses user-short-name

your childs user-short-name

your dog's user-short-name

etc.

Macbook slows down when switched to discrete gpu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.