Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retain chapter sort order for audiobooks in iTunes and iBooks on your iPhone device

I had an issue where the chapter order of audiobooks I was importing to iTunes was not transfering over to my iPhone. Read lots of posts online and found the following to work. If you have other options and thoughts, please add to this thread:

VERY IMPORTANT: if you’ve tried adding your audiobook files to the device before, make sure you delete them from your device before implementing the following steps. I had not, and my sort order issue remained until I first deleted all the files from my device.

1. First, from iTunes, go to "File" > "Add to Library."
  2. Select all the audio files and click “Open.”
  3. Then in iTunes, before transferring your audiobook files to the iPhone or iPod (if they're already on your iPhone or iPod, delete them and start from scratch), select all the audio files and hit command-I to get information.
  4. Make sure the media kind (under the "options" tab) is "Audiobook."
  5. Make sure the "Title" field is identical for all files (e.g., change them all to "Shakespeare on Silver Street").
    iBooks will first sort by title; if they're all identical, it will recognize that all those files are associated with the same audio book.
  6. Select the each track in iTunes, and right/control click and select "Audiobook Info." Under "Details" tab, make sure the track/disc numbers have transferred correctly, or edit them here. (You can click the "<"/">" icons in lower left to toggle between tracks.)
  7. Hit "OK."
  8. Then select your device in iTunes (in upper left), and in left column under “Settings” select “Audiobooks.” Make sure the book you just added is selected for syncing.
  9. Hit “Done” in the lower right corner of iTunes window and wait for your device to sync.

Now you should see your audiobook in the iBooks app on your device and be able to play tracks in order, the app will remember where you left off, and you can change playback speed, and advance or reverse in 15” increments.

iBook, iOS 11.2.1, iTunes v.12.7.2

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 3:48 PM

There are no replies.

Retain chapter sort order for audiobooks in iTunes and iBooks on your iPhone device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.