Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

superdrive on imac not reading after update to high sierra

Since updating to High Sierra the superdrive will not read CD's etc. The drive takes the disc and spins it for about 30s then ejected it.

Have reset SMC and the drive shows when I go to about this MAC under storage but does not appear in finder. I have also reloaded the OS.

Is there a patch or some cure for this?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 4:06 AM

8 replies

Jan 9, 2018 2:22 PM in response to Vaughanjem

Hello Vaughanjem,
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with superdrive, and I have some information that may help.
In cases like this, it may be helpful to test the issue in both safe mode and a new user account. Doing so will help to isolate the issue to a startup item, or a user specific issue. Safe mode may also help resolve the issue on its own, as it clears some cached items.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support
If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Feb 7, 2018 3:33 AM in response to Vaughanjem

From your description it sounds like the drive may be dirty. If a Mac can't read a disk because the disk is damaged or the lens of the drive is dirty it will take a disk in then spit it back out. You could try an optical disk cleaning disk.

I have an external SuperDrive which works fine with High Sierra. FWIW, the drive won't appear in the Finder without a disk in it.

There's also the possibility that the drive coincidentally failed when you upgraded.

Feb 7, 2018 3:41 AM in response to Vaughanjem

Vaughanjem wrote:

Sorry no I haven’t, tried all I can think of. I don’t think the drive is faulty but more likely to be iOS software issue.

hoping it will be resolved in next update but don’t hold out much hope.

So how do think it is an iOS software issue when there is no iOS?

1. Have you tested several different disks: CD, DVD, Data, Movie etc? Do they all not read?

2. Have you tried booting off an older macOS e.g. Sierra, to check whether it is High Sierra or a Hardware problem?

Peter

superdrive on imac not reading after update to high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.