Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset to factory an iCloud locked iPhone

What will happen if a factory reset an iCloud locked iPhone? Will it still ask the old icloud?

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 6:29 AM

Thank you but I can’t sign it out because the apple id itself is locked due to security reasons. I forgot my password and tried multiple times so maybe that’s why it got locked. I tried to unlock the appleid via iforgot.apple.com but I don’t have access to the old phone number. So i tried the start recovery and provide my new number. So my next step is just to wait for the support to respond?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2018 6:29 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thank you but I can’t sign it out because the apple id itself is locked due to security reasons. I forgot my password and tried multiple times so maybe that’s why it got locked. I tried to unlock the appleid via iforgot.apple.com but I don’t have access to the old phone number. So i tried the start recovery and provide my new number. So my next step is just to wait for the support to respond?

Jan 6, 2018 6:45 AM in response to Eijnebzero

You can force it into recovery mode and restore it as new in iTunes. But afterwards you will not be able to activate and use it for anything without the password to the AppleID currently logged into iCloud on it.

Erasing a device does not disable activation lock. You must know the AppleID/iCloud password to use that device or release it for someone else to use it.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Jan 6, 2018 7:34 AM in response to Eijnebzero

This is a user based technical forum. Apple presence is minimal

and generally restricted to enforcement of forum rules.

If you have started the account recovery process, you will have to

wait for it to proceed - it is not instantaneous and may take a day or two.

What happens when you click the "Unlock Account" button

pictured in your post above.

Reset to factory an iCloud locked iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.