Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant Shutdowns/Kernel panic related to GPU - High Sierra, MBP Retina

Hello, since the latest High Sierra update, my Macbook Pro has been experiencing a constant random shutdown situation. It's shutting down while doing normal activities such as browsing the web with Safari. It's gotten to a point where the computer can't last longer than 10-15 minutes without shutting down. Here's a screenshot with the report.

User uploaded file

It seems to be an issue related to the switching from Integrated to Discrete GPU's, so I've been trying to isolate the problem and determine whether it's actually a Hardware or a Software issue:

I've tried an SMC Reset and a NVRAM Reset but they didn't help since the problem reoccurred.

I ran an Apple Hardware Test in Extended Testing mode and there were 0 issues found.

I downloaded gfxCard to force the system to not switch GPU's, and only use the integrated Intel card, the computer is stable with this workaround.

I've attempted a High Sierra Re-Install by booting the System with CMD+R, but unfortunately, the computer shutdown in the middle of the installation. For some reason, the computer was able to boot up normally after this failed attempt.

Is there any other workaround other than booking a visit with Apple? I want to avoid the cost of changing a logic board if the problem can be solved by finding and fixing the real issue. Please advice, thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 9:30 AM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2018 10:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It's a Mid 2012 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel Core I7, Graphic cards are Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia GeForce GT 650M (1gb) 16GB of RAM.

If i'm not wrong, it should be this one as it has the same exact specs: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.3-15- mid-2012-retina-display-specs.html

Jan 7, 2018 10:41 AM in response to supermati

This likely applies to your MacBook Pro:

Install Cody Kreiger's Open-Source gfxcardstatus (https://gfx.io) and set it to "i" (integrated graphics only). It will allow your MBP to run on integrated graphics only, bypassing the discrete GPU which has the issues. This may allow your MBP to run normally, although it will have reduced graphics performance when performing demanding graphics tasks. The alternative is replacing the logic board, which is not cost effective on a machine that old, unless gfx does not resolve the issue and you really want to keep this MBP.

There is an acknowledged deficiency with later versions of MacOS in the current version of Cody Kreiger's Open-Source gfxcardstatus, and the developer has confessed he does not have time to fix it right now.

There is a fork off the main build by steveschow available that seems to fix that problem for current versions of MacOS such as ElCapitan and Sierra. He provides a finished .app for direct download -- you do not have to compile anything.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

Also note that if your Mac does not run long enough to allow gfxcardstatus to be added, this is not really practical.

In addition, Steve Schow writes that he has abandoned further development -- because there are better solutions available [for both the 2010 model and 2011 models]. In particular, the use of ArchLinux bootable CD to gain access to and re-write the EFI on the drive, and permanently disable the discrete graphics chip. This page and scroll down past the list to the blog:

Releases · steveschow/gfxCardStatus · GitHub

there are two similar procedure listed. I used the second from MacRumors as it seemed easier. I have made the Arch Linux bootable CD on another Mac, and tried this approach. I now have a perfectly-functioning MacBook Pro late 2011 15-in model with Discrete Graphics disabled. Runs just fine.

Constant Shutdowns/Kernel panic related to GPU - High Sierra, MBP Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.