Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X gps issues possible fixes/workarounds

I thought I would consolidate everything I've seen and tried about the iPhone X gps issues.

Suggestions (roughly in the order I tried them):

1) Turn location services off, restart phone, and turn location services back on [did not work for me]

2) Turn location services off, hard restart phone, and turn location services back on [did not work for me]

3) Upgrade to iOS 11.2.1 (I had been on 11.1.2) [did not work for me]

4) Reset Location & Privacy and Network settings [did not work for me]

5) Turn off phone and leave it off for several hours [surprisingly, this fixed most of the problem for me]

6) Restore iPhone to new/factory and restore from backup [not tried]

Workaround for remaining issues:

1) Move car mount from center to left (or right if in UK or similar) of steering wheel. Unfortunately, this does seem to be necessary in a wide range of cars (but not all). Does anyone have an older phone (iPhone 7 or earlier) that this makes a difference for?

Before I did suggestion #5, the gps was fubar - location was not very accurate and direction was consistently off by about 100 degrees. Afterwards, I only had issues when driving (with the phone mount in the center). I have no idea why it worked when #1 and #2 failed but it did.

There is definitely an interference issue (not sure if it is hardware or software) with many cars and the iPhone X (and 8 from what I've read but can't verify (I have a 5s, 7, and X)). Apple doesn't seem to want to acknowledge this (or, at least, admit that it only appears to be a problem with Apple phones).

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for fixing the issues that worked for them or have any other workarounds?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.1, null

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 9:23 AM

1 reply

iPhone X gps issues possible fixes/workarounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.