Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch heart rate sensor is not working and the watch keeps locking

Hi, I have an apple watch series 3 and my heart rate sensor is not working it cannot measure my heart rate and the green LED light is not working too, also my watch keeps locking everytime it is in sleep mode.

I wonder if anyone had the same issue that i’m having, and if there is a way to fix it or not.

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 4:03 AM

If the issue persists, then I suggest (as previously advised) that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

(You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2018 4:03 AM in response to FYA_1

If the issue persists, then I suggest (as previously advised) that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

(You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

Jan 6, 2018 6:29 PM in response to FYA_1

Hi

If you are not already doing so, then you might wish to use these settings:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Passcode.
  • Turn on Wrist Detection.
  • Turn on Passcode.
  • Enable Unlock with iPhone.

After putting it on your wrist, your Apple Watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone. It will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you next remove your Apple Watch from your wrist, it will lock automatically:

Turn on, wake, and unlock

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

To avoid your Apple Watch locking unexpectedly during general daily wear - and also for the best performance from the heart rate sensor during workouts - ensure that you wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist. Apple suggests that you consider tightening the band before starting a workout and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements.

Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos. As well as varying by person, skin perfusion can be reduced when exercising in the cold to levels that prevent readings:

For workouts that involve flexing your wrists, it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint. It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch is clean (along with your wrist, which I'm sure is the case):

Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Apple watch heart rate sensor is not working and the watch keeps locking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.