Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one switch to 5GHz only?

I've been struggling extending my home network. Figured it out with help from Bob Timmonds. Now would like to WiFi in 5GHz only. My original router was set up that way, but don't remember how I did it. Help? Thanks jn

Airport Extreme-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 6:18 PM

If you have the newer "tower" shaped AirPort Extreme, you can turn off the 2.4 GHz signal completely, so the AirPort will broadcast only 5 GHz.

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Click the Wireless Options button

Click the 2.4 GHz Channel selection box

Select Off

User uploaded file

A message will appear to tell you that Apple does not really recommend this

Click Turn Off if you want to proceed

Click Save

Click Update to save the settings and give the AirPort a minute to restart

Unfortunately, these settings do not exist on the older dual band "flat" or "square" versions of the AirPort Extreme, so things will get tricky as far as extending the network unless you have another "tower" version of the AirPort.

What model of AirPort will "extend" the network?

Will the extender connect to the main AirPort using WiFi or using a wired Ethernet cable connection?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2018 6:18 PM in response to prof_john

If you have the newer "tower" shaped AirPort Extreme, you can turn off the 2.4 GHz signal completely, so the AirPort will broadcast only 5 GHz.

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Click the Wireless Options button

Click the 2.4 GHz Channel selection box

Select Off

User uploaded file

A message will appear to tell you that Apple does not really recommend this

Click Turn Off if you want to proceed

Click Save

Click Update to save the settings and give the AirPort a minute to restart

Unfortunately, these settings do not exist on the older dual band "flat" or "square" versions of the AirPort Extreme, so things will get tricky as far as extending the network unless you have another "tower" version of the AirPort.

What model of AirPort will "extend" the network?

Will the extender connect to the main AirPort using WiFi or using a wired Ethernet cable connection?

Jan 7, 2018 9:38 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob - I originally set the flat router to 5 GHz and it worked fine. I did manage to extend the network using the tower and flat router, but at the 2.4GHz rate. I followed your instructions and have the tower set at 5GHz, but cannot link the flat into the network.

According to the data on the base of the flat router (A 1408 and has the dual band capability). I’m going to reboot everything and see what turns up.

Breaking news - The reboot appears to have worked. I now see the tower on 5GHz (per your instructions, Bob). I checked to see if 2.4GHZ was still off (yes), then checked the flat router and the 5GHz box was checked, but no ability to turn 2.4 off. So, I’m guessing the the tower is driving the flat router all at 5GHZ.

I am walking away from it all very slowly. Thank you so much for your help. jn

Jan 7, 2018 10:07 AM in response to prof_john

So, I’m guessing the the tower is driving the flat router all at 5GHZ.

The older AirPort is connecting to the new AirPort using 5 GHz.

But....the older AirPort is producing both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal.....because you cannot "turn off" 2.4 GHz on this model of the AirPort.

So, devices that are close to the old AirPort will probably connect at 5 GHz, but devices that are located a room or two away from the old AirPort will probably connect at 2.4 GHz....since the 2.4 GHz signal is stronger than a 5 GHz signal.

If you absolutely want to know that all devices will always connect at only 5 GHz, then you will need to replace the old AirPort with a new "tower" version of the product, and "turn off" 2.4 GHz like you did on the new AirPort.

Jan 8, 2018 7:48 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob - Thanks for the explanation. I did look for the "turn-off" option on the flat router and found none. At the moment, everything appears to be working fine. The WiFi signal strength seems to have improved in my outer rooms, but nothing to write home about. I expected more, since the flat router was the workhorse for years for the entire house, as well as, outside patios. Appreciate your help and patience. jn

Jan 8, 2018 8:01 AM in response to prof_john

That older "flat" AirPort is at least 5 years old and likely older, while 5 years is about it as far as the useful life of a wireless router designed for home use. In general, that is when the performance begins to noticeably decline.

Chances are, the older AirPort is not performing like it was when it was new, which is to be expected.

How does one switch to 5GHz only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.