Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade to macOS high sierra on a Mac mini server using a RAID system?

I using a Mac mini server (2012) using a RAID (AppleRAID) on both internal HDD. The system works great but since I have upgrade my MacBookPro and my iMac I can not use the Server Application that is available in high sierra to admin the Mac mini server running on macOS sierra. I tried to run the installation after I have checked all requirements and get disappointed when I can't perform the installation on an AppleRAID system.

I would not using AFS on the mac mini server since I used only HDD's not SSD's. How can I move on or is not solution available?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 6:16 PM

Right now High Sierra doesn't support AppleRAID, unfortunately, at least not on the boot volume (even with HDs, not SSDs). I have the same frustration, because I use AppleRAID RAID1 extensively on my Mac servers (with SMARTReporter to report via email if the RAID or drives have an issue).

I would suggest just staying at Sierra 10.12 until High Sierra 10.13 or a subsequent version brings back support for AppleRAIDs...if it ever does.

If you need to update to High Sierra right away for some reason, or if Apple never comes through with AppleRAID support in High Sierra*, the alternative is SoftRAID, with both full ($179) and lite ($49) versions available, which provides excellent software RAIDs on all versions of macOS, including High Sierra. I use it for RAID5 software RAIDs and it can also do RAID1.

One unfortunate limitation of SoftRAID Lite is that it won't send email notifications for RAID issues, which makes it a non-starter for me, so if you want notifications then you end up paying $179 for the full version to create a RAID1 that was formerly free from Apple. FWIW, however, SoftRAID does have a ton of features, including proactively checking and validating your drives.

* Apple has been seriously curtailing things that I've depended on for years, like AppleRAID and macOS Server (both the hardware and the software). The latest insult is this nonsense about deprecating all the best features of Server, so prepare to look for alternatives for doing what you're doing with Server in the not-so-far future. For webserving, Apple's suggested alternatives are a PITA (IMO), so I'm looking at alternatives like Abyss. For SMTP serving, Postfix with one of the add-ons for management might not suck at ease-of-casual-management too much (although I'm not getting my hopes up). Sigh...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 6:16 PM in response to BalduinMP

Right now High Sierra doesn't support AppleRAID, unfortunately, at least not on the boot volume (even with HDs, not SSDs). I have the same frustration, because I use AppleRAID RAID1 extensively on my Mac servers (with SMARTReporter to report via email if the RAID or drives have an issue).

I would suggest just staying at Sierra 10.12 until High Sierra 10.13 or a subsequent version brings back support for AppleRAIDs...if it ever does.

If you need to update to High Sierra right away for some reason, or if Apple never comes through with AppleRAID support in High Sierra*, the alternative is SoftRAID, with both full ($179) and lite ($49) versions available, which provides excellent software RAIDs on all versions of macOS, including High Sierra. I use it for RAID5 software RAIDs and it can also do RAID1.

One unfortunate limitation of SoftRAID Lite is that it won't send email notifications for RAID issues, which makes it a non-starter for me, so if you want notifications then you end up paying $179 for the full version to create a RAID1 that was formerly free from Apple. FWIW, however, SoftRAID does have a ton of features, including proactively checking and validating your drives.

* Apple has been seriously curtailing things that I've depended on for years, like AppleRAID and macOS Server (both the hardware and the software). The latest insult is this nonsense about deprecating all the best features of Server, so prepare to look for alternatives for doing what you're doing with Server in the not-so-far future. For webserving, Apple's suggested alternatives are a PITA (IMO), so I'm looking at alternatives like Abyss. For SMTP serving, Postfix with one of the add-ons for management might not suck at ease-of-casual-management too much (although I'm not getting my hopes up). Sigh...

How to upgrade to macOS high sierra on a Mac mini server using a RAID system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.