Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently Saving Edited Photos

It seems that this question has been asked for several years with no resolution from anyone including Apple. It's all well and good that Apple has improved the editing features of iPhoto but it does no good if you cannot really save those changes. Instead, I have to re-edit the photos after they transfer and I should not have to email or airdrop the edited versions from my iPhone or iPad so that I can then import them into iPhoto on my computer as some people have suggested. The only way I seem to be able to get an edited version to remain, is to edit a photo in 3rd party editing programs and then delete the original photo.

If other programs can give you the option of over writing the original or saving a photo as an additional photo, why can't Apple's iPhoto.

This forum only allowed me to select one of my products but this is the same problem no matter which product I am using.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.1, null

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 6:49 AM

and I should not have to email or airdrop the edited versions from my iPhone or iPad so that I can then import them into iPhoto on my computer as some people have suggested.

How are you transferring the photos from your iPad or iPhone to your Mac?

• If you use iCloud Photo Library, both the edits version and the original will be transferred.
  • If you use My Photo Stream or transfer the photos using a USB connection, Photos will transfer all photos that have been saved to the camera Roll or "Saved Photos": So save the edited photo to the camera roll and it will appear in My Photo stream or be visible, when you connect the iPhone to a computer by USB. To save a duplicate to the Camera Roll, share the photo to the Files.app, then save it from Files to the Camera Roll.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2018 6:49 AM in response to Patti

and I should not have to email or airdrop the edited versions from my iPhone or iPad so that I can then import them into iPhoto on my computer as some people have suggested.

How are you transferring the photos from your iPad or iPhone to your Mac?

• If you use iCloud Photo Library, both the edits version and the original will be transferred.
  • If you use My Photo Stream or transfer the photos using a USB connection, Photos will transfer all photos that have been saved to the camera Roll or "Saved Photos": So save the edited photo to the camera roll and it will appear in My Photo stream or be visible, when you connect the iPhone to a computer by USB. To save a duplicate to the Camera Roll, share the photo to the Files.app, then save it from Files to the Camera Roll.

Jan 7, 2018 12:39 PM in response to léonie

And that is well supported in iCloud Photo Library, the only seamless way to transfer a Photos Library with all edits, albums, favorite tags. You do not need to upload your complete Photos Library to iCloud, if you do not want to purchase extra storage. You could create a new, empty library just for downloading from iCloud.

According to Apple it's all or nothing when uploading my photos to iCloud. I could then download the albums I want on my computer.

If you prefer to stick with the older way - My Photo Stream - to transfer photos, it is your decision. It is very unlikely, that Apple will change the way My Photo Stream is working, because it is essential as a support for older devices, that cannot be updated to newer versions of iOS and iCloud Photo Library, and it would mean, that Apple would have to release iOS updates for the older devices.

Apple doesn't seem to think that way when they update their iOS and stop supporting older equipment.

My Photo Stream is a temporary buffer to transfer your new photos. If you import a photo, or take a photo with the camera, or save it to the Camera Roll, it will be added to My Photo Stream immediately and remain available there for at most 30 days. My Photo Stream will hold at most 1000 photos You have to save from My Photo Stream, while they are still available. Because the photos will upload to My Photo Stream, as soon as they have been aded to your library, they cannot hold the edits, only filters you applied already in the camera.

If there are photos missing from my Photo Stream, that are newer than 30 days, something is wrong. Only the videos or the Live Part of Live Photos should be missing.

But My Photo Stream should transfer the edited version as well, if you save it to the Camera Roll. Only it is a bit tedious to have to save the version separately as described above.

• I am aware that Photo Stream is just a temporary importing of photos and only keeps the last 1,000 photos. I save my photos from Photo Stream into the specific albums I want them in.
  • When you edit a photo, it is automatically saved to Camera Roll and the new version is not always added to Photo Stream.

Eventually, something will change or I will only just use 3rd party software to edit my photos, which certainly is more work than being able to do everything in iPhoto and given a choice of how to save the edited version.

Again, appreciate your follow through and response.

Patti

Jan 7, 2018 7:06 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your input.

Most times I use photo stream initially and then move them into the album I want to use. However, I have found that photo stream usually brings in the original and even then, it doesn’t bring all the pictures in so I connect my phone or iPad to my computer to get the pictures that photo stream doesn’t bring. It also only brings photos & not videos shot.

As for using iCloud Library, I have been told that it brings in the original. On top of that, I have 180+GBs of photos which I would then have to pay Apple for the space and if it did bring in both copies, I would have even more.

I know that there are work arounds, however, I still think Apple should add the overwriting or additional save as an option. From reading earlier postings to this forum, this is something that has been asked for from users for numerous years.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Patti

Jan 7, 2018 7:42 AM in response to Patti

I know that there are work arounds, however, I still think Apple should add the overwriting or additional save as an option. From reading earlier postings to this forum, this is something that has been asked for from users for numerous years.

And that is well supported in iCloud Photo Library, the only seamless way to transfer a Photos Library with all edits, albums, favorite tags. You do not need to upload your complete Photos Library to iCloud, if you do not want to purchase extra storage. You could create a new, empty library just for downloading from iCloud.

If you prefer to stick with the older way - My Photo Stream - to transfer photos, it is your decision. It is very unlikely, that Apple will change the way My Photo Stream is working, because it is essential as a support for older devices, that cannot be updated to newer versions of iOS and iCloud Photo Library, and it would mean, that Apple would have to release iOS updates for the older devices.

I have found that photo stream usually brings in the original and even then, it doesn’t bring all the pictures in so I connect my phone or iPad to my computer to get the pictures that photo stream doesn’t bring.

My Photo Stream is a temporary buffer to transfer your new photos. If you import a photo, or take a photo with the camera, or save it to the Camera Roll, it will be added to My Photo Stream immediately and remain available there for at most 30 days. My Photo Stream will hold at most 1000 photos You have to save from My Photo Stream, while they are still available. Because the photos will upload to My Photo Stream, as soon as they have been aded to your library, they cannot hold the edits, only filters you applied already in the camera.

If there are photos missing from my Photo Stream, that are newer than 30 days, something is wrong. Only the videos or the Live Part of Live Photos should be missing.

But My Photo Stream should transfer the edited version as well, if you save it to the Camera Roll. Only it is a bit tedious to have to save the version separately as described above.

Jan 7, 2018 12:47 PM in response to Patti

According to Apple it's all or nothing when uploading my photos to iCloud. I could then download the albums I want on my computer.

It is "All-or-nothing" for your iCloud Photos Library. You can have one iCloud Photo library, but many additional Photos Libraries not syncing with iCloud.

That is why I suggested to start with an empty library to download the photos from your iPhone, if you want to. keep the majority of your photos in an archive library, that is not your iCloud Photo Library.

Permanently Saving Edited Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.