Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove the McAfee icon from Menu Bar

Unable to remove the McAfee icon from Menu Bar even though program was deleted? How to get rid of it?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 8:21 AM

Always use the proper uninstaller provided by the developer in situations like these. You shouldn't try to ferret out the components and remove them manually except as a last resort.

The last time I looked at McAfee, its uninstaller was installed in the Applications folder. Run that and it'll take care of things.

If you have already deleted that, then that was a mistake, but there may still be a relatively easy way to uninstall. Assuming the uninstall script is still where it used to be, open the Terminal app (found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and enter the following command:

/usr/local/McAfee/uninstallMSC

When you do so, it should at some point ask you for your password, and you'll need to make sure you're running this from an admin user account (which you probably are if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Also, just to repeat John's point, DO NOT download any kind of anti-virus or "cleaning" software from the Mac App Store. Pretty much all of it is scam software.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 8:21 AM in response to mmarvelous

Always use the proper uninstaller provided by the developer in situations like these. You shouldn't try to ferret out the components and remove them manually except as a last resort.

The last time I looked at McAfee, its uninstaller was installed in the Applications folder. Run that and it'll take care of things.

If you have already deleted that, then that was a mistake, but there may still be a relatively easy way to uninstall. Assuming the uninstall script is still where it used to be, open the Terminal app (found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and enter the following command:

/usr/local/McAfee/uninstallMSC

When you do so, it should at some point ask you for your password, and you'll need to make sure you're running this from an admin user account (which you probably are if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Also, just to repeat John's point, DO NOT download any kind of anti-virus or "cleaning" software from the Mac App Store. Pretty much all of it is scam software.

Jan 7, 2018 12:24 PM in response to keg55

The site at McAfee.com wants me to buy the program in order to install it! I did not buy it in the first place, and don't know when it was originally installed, or if it really ever was. Apple helped me yesterday get rid of a lot of stuff because of some system problems, and I did dump not only other such "protection" programs but I "think" McAfee was one of them. I say "think" in quotes because I did so much yesterday that I really can't remember everything exactly. Isn't there any other way to get rid of that icon in the Menu Bar? Yikes! I apologize for being so ignorant!

I want to thank you for your reply!

Jan 7, 2018 2:50 PM in response to mmarvelous

At the App Store I got the Squirrel with magnifying glass icon with Open button underneath it. I typed McAfee in the search button at the top I got four buttons, I guess to purchase one or more of the app, Antivirus Zap - Virus (Business) for $4.99, BitMedic AntiVirus (Utilities) for $29.99, BitMEdic AntiVirus Li...(Utilities) for (looks like nothing, or...uh is free) as it says GET in App Purchases, then there is OS Antivirus 360 - Ad...(Productivity) for $9.99

I do not know what to make of these but I am guessing BitMedic AntiVirus Li... is the one that is free and the one I want???

User uploaded file

Jan 8, 2018 11:43 AM in response to dialabrain

It's not my intent to exert control over a topic. mmarvelous replied to mmarvelous so it was not clear who's being asked. I don't expect people to understand the nuances of ASC. It's hard enough to understand what they want.

Then, we have the disappearing post syndrome, which I doubt will ever be fixed. I used to edit any apparent duplication of effort by removing a redundant post leaving only a "dot" in its place, but I've found it easier to simply not care any more.

Jan 8, 2018 11:43 AM in response to mmarvelous

mmarvelous wrote:

At the App Store I got the Squirrel with magnifying glass icon with Open button underneath it. I typed McAfee in the search button at the top I got four buttons, I guess to purchase one or more of the app, Antivirus Zap - Virus (Business) for $4.99, BitMedic AntiVirus (Utilities) for $29.99, BitMEdic AntiVirus Li...(Utilities) for (looks like nothing, or...uh is free) as it says GET in App Purchases, then there is OS Antivirus 360 - Ad...(Productivity) for $9.99

I do not know what to make of these but I am guessing BitMedic AntiVirus Li... is the one that is free and the one I want???

User uploaded file

NO

Do not purchase any more "anti-virus" junk. OMG.

I suggest you look into this program instead: https://etrecheck.com/

I may not be able to help with it but if I can't surely someone else will.

Jan 7, 2018 8:33 PM in response to mmarvelous

mmarvelous wrote:

At the App Store I got the Squirrel with magnifying glass icon with Open button underneath it.

You were supposed to "click" on the blue button which would open the App Store to the EasyFind page. From there click the blue "Install" button. Once it's done, the button name will change to "Open". Click it which will launch EasyFind. THEN follow the instructions I posted earlier about searching for McAfee.

Jan 8, 2018 6:04 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you. I downloaded the EtreCheck app and ran the check. It delivered 7 pages (printable), which I copied into Preview that showed the number of pages. There are a number of links given for some of the features but I don't know if I should click them. I'll hold off time being and see how this discussion proceeds. I am grateful for your replies and suggestions. I won't purchase any anti-virus "junk". The Apple Support Tech had me download Malwarebytes after discarding everything else of this kind that was on my computer. Oddly, I do not recall putting any of them on the machine, I am the only user, but I've had it approximately 4 years. At any rate, I will read dialabrain's comment and if I could let her/him take over I would!!!!! Again, thanks.

Remove the McAfee icon from Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.