Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Allow" button not working when System Software is blocked from loading

I am trying to run VMware and it is being blocked. I go to Security & Privacy and click the allow button next to this message/alert (System software from developer VMware, Inc. was blocked from loading) and the icon shows that it is being clicked but nothing happens and the message/alert remains the same. I tried rebooting my iMac Pro running MacOS High Sierra V 10.13.2 and the message remains and the allow button will not work even when I unlock the changes with my system password.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2018 12:24 PM

I have just figured out the answer to this question. On a different post, I read this comment from someone "Because of security reasons pressing the Allow button won’t take effect if you are connecting to the machine via Remote Desktop, or if the mouse/trackpad is emulated by a 3rd party application (MagicPrefs, BetterTouchTool, Synergy, etc.)"

Even though I dont have a third party emulator of the same kind in the examples, I realized maybe TeamViewer, and other similar apps might do the same thing - to allow mouse/trackpad input while remote controlling mac. So I started closing apps one after the other and none seemed to have helped. Finally, I disconnected the ethernet cable, and turned off wifi. I was then able to click 'Allow'.

Hoping this would save someone a headache who is on the same boat as me.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2018 12:24 PM in response to Herrera90

I have just figured out the answer to this question. On a different post, I read this comment from someone "Because of security reasons pressing the Allow button won’t take effect if you are connecting to the machine via Remote Desktop, or if the mouse/trackpad is emulated by a 3rd party application (MagicPrefs, BetterTouchTool, Synergy, etc.)"

Even though I dont have a third party emulator of the same kind in the examples, I realized maybe TeamViewer, and other similar apps might do the same thing - to allow mouse/trackpad input while remote controlling mac. So I started closing apps one after the other and none seemed to have helped. Finally, I disconnected the ethernet cable, and turned off wifi. I was then able to click 'Allow'.

Hoping this would save someone a headache who is on the same boat as me.

Feb 21, 2018 3:57 PM in response to Herrera90

I was able to solve this by quitting the application called MagicPrefs. It was an application monitoring mouse clicks, so Apple was trying to protect the system by not allowing the button to be clicked. It's not a bug with MagicPrefs, and other applications may cause this behaviour too.

FYI, I did a quick write-up on my wiki: http://it.mundy.co/allow_button_not_working_when_system_software_is_blocked_from _loading

May 1, 2018 6:00 PM in response to Herrera90

MacOS has a bug where it doesn't explain why you can't click that button. I looked in the console logs and found that clicking the button was blocked because the click was coming from Chrome's pid. I think this might be because I have Chrome Remote Desktop enabled. I quit Chrome and then was able to click Allow. Then I started Chrome again.

It shouldn't be this hard, but that's what we have to put up with when using Apple software.

Sep 24, 2018 8:00 AM in response to Herrera90

I spent quite a while looking for answers about this. Most of the search results on this topic suggested removing/disabling MagicPrefs (which I don't have) or making sure to be at the physical console (I am).

What DID actually work was switching to another user and clicking the "allow" button there.

Both my users have administrative rights, but the one where I tried to start vmware was

apparently unable to "allow" this kext to load, and the other user WAS able to allow it.

Must be some strange bug in play... but at least this work-around did the job for me!

Oct 7, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Herrera90

I had this problem, and I was totally unsuccessful at determining which application was interfering with my touchpad. So here is the procedure that worked for me:

1. Install the application. (Cylance Protect)

2. Verify that in System Preferences, Security, the allow button is present for Cylance, but not working.

3. Restart in safe mode. (Hold down shift key while restarting the Mac).

4. Open System Preferences, Security, and click the Allow button. Prompt to allow the app from the publisher should go away.

5. Uninstall the app.

6. Restart in normal mode.

7. Re-install the app.

8. Test that app is now working.

Apparently, there are many apps that intercept mouse activity and interfere with these security approvals. It would be great if there were an easy way to disable all interface intercepting apps.

"Allow" button not working when System Software is blocked from loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.