Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long can I leave my Apple Watch on a charger?

I own an Apple Watch Series 2 which I do not wear every day. I would like to leave it on a charger so that the watch is charged and ready for use when I decide to wear it. If I leave the it on a charger for multiple days at a time could I cause damage to the watch? I may wear it once or twice a week with it on the charger the remaining time.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 4:36 AM

Hi

Apple advises that you can charge Apple Watch whenever you want. The battery on Apple Watch cannot be overcharged (there is also no need to let the battery discharge to any particular level first, nor any benefit to be gained from doing so):

Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

Apple's tips for maximising battery life and battery lifespan on Apple Watch are detailed here:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Charging will stop automatically when the battery is fully charged and start again if and when required due to ongoing battery usage.

Be sure to follow Apple's safety and handling instructions (see the links below) and also note that:

• It is not possible to turn your Apple Watch off whilst it is on the charger and connected to power - this is normal.
  • It is also normal for your Apple Watch, power adapter and charging cable to become warm when connected to power.

You may also find (the optional) Nightstand / Bedside mode useful:

Use Nightstand mode on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

More information:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep Apple Watch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Important safety information

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 4:36 AM in response to Sbarsanti

Hi

Apple advises that you can charge Apple Watch whenever you want. The battery on Apple Watch cannot be overcharged (there is also no need to let the battery discharge to any particular level first, nor any benefit to be gained from doing so):

Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

Apple's tips for maximising battery life and battery lifespan on Apple Watch are detailed here:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Charging will stop automatically when the battery is fully charged and start again if and when required due to ongoing battery usage.

Be sure to follow Apple's safety and handling instructions (see the links below) and also note that:

• It is not possible to turn your Apple Watch off whilst it is on the charger and connected to power - this is normal.
  • It is also normal for your Apple Watch, power adapter and charging cable to become warm when connected to power.

You may also find (the optional) Nightstand / Bedside mode useful:

Use Nightstand mode on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

More information:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep Apple Watch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Important safety information

Jan 7, 2018 9:18 PM in response to Sbarsanti

Sbarsanti wrote:

I own an Apple Watch Series 2 which I do not wear every day. I would like to leave it on a charger so that the watch is charged and ready for use when I decide to wear it. If I leave the it on a charger for multiple days at a time could I cause damage to the watch? I may wear it once or twice a week with it on the charger the remaining time.

Thanks.

Technically, you could leave it on the charger indefinitely, since the device only accepts a charge when needed, but why leave it on that long?

User uploaded file

How long can I leave my Apple Watch on a charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.