Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can MacBook Pro's CPU slow down with bad battery?

Hello,

I'm currently using my MacBook Pro 2011 but I noticed that my CPU is not as fast as it should be due to Geekbench test. I was wondering why that happens and maybe I found the answer but I would be thankful if someone could reassure if I'm right.

Some time ago I've noticed that my battery dies at 50 % of power remaining (at least that is what my MacBook shows) and when I plug the cable in it normally turn on charging from 0 %. I've used to it because I use my Macbook only at home but now I am wondering if the CPU speed could be someway associated with the battery issue.

I've done plenty of SMC restars and OS reinstalls so the battery issue is not software issue.

Thank you.
Andrej

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 120 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2018 11:14 AM

If anyone will find this in the future I can confirm that it was battery issue. I got new battery today and the CPU speed increaced significantly. My benchmark test showed 3000 points and now it has 7500+ points.

14 replies

Jan 8, 2018 10:42 AM in response to Zikkypikky

It's well known that Apple throttles the CPU (I heard halving the CPU clock) if a battery isn't detected. The 60W power adapter isn't enough if there's a surge in power needs, so reducing the clock is insurance against a random shutdown. Of course not having a working battery is a risk with the MagSafe adapter or any adapter if it's disconnected. I remember issues with tower computers sitting under a desk, if the power connector was bumped.

If the battery is bad or there's a break in the connection, then it should automatically throttle back.

Jan 8, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

It is possible if the battery is defective that the cpu will throttle down to a less power hungry speed. The only real way to tell is by fitting a new battery.

Battery information can be checked in System Report. If there's some sort of serious problem it should report it, although that should also show up on the battery indicator dropdown menu.

CoconutBattery might give an idea too. It does seem to be slow to respond to stuff like discharge rate. I pulled the power adapter and it took a while before it indicated that it was drawing more than 0 watts from the battery. When I reconnected it was still indicating that it was drawing from the battery. CoconutBattery also doesn't report how much power is drawn from the adapter.

Jan 8, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

I know that already, but thanks.

Cool. It sounds like you've got a bad battery. I've heard conflicting info on whether or not Apple will replace it for you given how old it is. I'm sure they have the OEM batteries though.

Battery diagnostics are kind of a strange thing. The developers can apply a model that basically estimates the remaining capacity based on monitoring the voltage/current and perhaps other conditions like temperature, and then storing data to a "scoreboard" within the battery. It's kind of weird because they have to adjust when the model doesn't line up with what the battery system is seeing. I had an issue with my 2007 (polycarbonate) MacBook battery. One day my wife was playing a game that turned the fan on full blast while it was off the adapter, and it just shut down. When I restarted the battery was reporting negative capacity. I kept that battery around for a while even though it said that it needed to be replaced. Eventually the status went back to "normal", then to "replace now", back to normal, etc. I was planning on getting a service replacement but the store I went to didn't have any. I finally got a service replacement after the battery started swelling. What I believe happened was during that crazy shutdown, something corrupted the status data in the battery and it could never really recover from that.

Early lithium rechargeable batteries were kind of an adventure because they didn't store battery status anywhere, and were basically just charged like you'd charge a NiCad or NiMH battery.

I remember a coworker who used to work at a big PC company making custom chips for them. But their head of battery research apparently would walk into the room where they were charging lithium batteries, and would quickly leave because he was worried that the room could go up in flames any time. I believe this was before batteries had onboard diagnostics to model the status. There was that big fire at the Sony plant in Japan that made the majority of lithium-ion batteries in the mid-90s, and that put a huge crimp on battery supplies for a while.

I can't really find much about how Apples stores data on their batteries, but Sony has some for their camera batteries.

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag/HDR-CX220_CX230_CX280_CX290_CX320_CX380_CX3 90_HDR-PJ220_PJ230_PJ320_PJ380_PJ390_gui…

Jan 8, 2018 11:59 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

y_p_w wrote:

Csound1 wrote:

I know that already, but thanks.

Cool. It sounds like you've got a bad battery.

It sounds to me as if you are very much mistaken in who you think you are addressing. Please review who you addressing replies to.

My spiel was meant for the OP though, even though it was a response to your post for context. My mistake.

Jan 8, 2018 1:31 PM in response to Zikkypikky

Zikkypikky wrote:

Thank you for you reply. However my battery does not act wierdly it just dies after some time – not high temperature or nothing. My point was only that my CPU probably reacts to the low power. I've already ordered new OEM battery so I will see and hope if it helps.

Sorry. I tend to be long winded. That was just a story about how the battery diagnostics can get corrupted. I'm thinking your battery may have status data that doesn't accurately match the state of the battery. I've seen stuff like that on my old iPhone 4s that was well over the number of cycles. The model used to estimate the capacity left can get less and less accurate over time. I'd see stuff like it reporting 25% capacity (and 100% reported was probably 40% of the original capacity) and then suddenly it would drop to 1% and then start a forced, but orderly shutdown.

When it just dies on you, are you getting a save to disk? Once you can restart it would look like how it was when it shut down, but kind of grayed out and then back to normal colors when fully recovered. If the power is just shutting off, then it's going to restart like a forced manual shutdown.

Did you check the number of cycles on your battery using System Report - under Power?

Can MacBook Pro's CPU slow down with bad battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.