Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie 9 download

Hi everybody, my son took over my old macbook (mid 2009). I put in a ssd-drive. Now he wants to have Imovie..

i am running OS El capitan, but where can i Downlaod the IMovie 9??

Please help. Anything would do. Or what is a good alternative for a 10 yr old boy?

Kind regards

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 9:57 AM

5 replies

Jan 14, 2018 5:30 AM in response to reiniervdh

As Rich has said iMovie version 9 ( aka iMovie '11, included in ilife '11) does not perform well in El Capitan.

iMovie version 8 ( aka iMovie '09, included in iLife '09) is very similar to version 9 and would therefore most likely suffer in the same manner under El Capitan.

If you want to try iMovie version 8 to see what complications may exist then you can probably install this into El Capitan if you still have the 2 grey install discs that came with your 2009 machine.

One disc is the OSX install and the second additional software such as iMovie ,iDVD and other stuff.

You can do a custom install that allows you to just install iMovie if you wish, look out for the Custom Install

button bottom left of the install window.

If you are able to obtain iMovie, just be prepared for glitches as Rich has indicated .

Update to version 8.0.6 here

iMovie 8.0.6

This is an update so you need to install the original from the disc first.

If you do have the 2 install discs, Snow Leopard I assume, then you could install Snow Leopard on a separate partition on the SSD.

If you have installed the SSD yourself then you will know what you are doing.

If you need additional info on creating partitions on a Mac then there is plenty of info on the internet.

I think the best way of doing this is to obtain a clone of your El Capitan system on to an empty

spare hard drive.

Then create 2 partitions on your SSD ,or more if you want, but 2 will do.

Install Snow Leopard on one partition from the install DVD and copy back the clone of El Capitan to the other partition.

iMovie version 8 will run just fine on Snow Leopard.Install it as mentioned above.

If you don't have too much on the SSD at the moment then you can clone to a USB stick if large enough instead of an external drive.

Use Disk Utility to Clone a Mac's Drive

A bit of research may be required but you end up with both Snow Leopard and El Capitan on your MacBook.

Jan 8, 2018 10:28 AM in response to reiniervdh

Hi,

iMovie 9 is not fully compatible with El Capitan and later operating systems. Many glitches and malfunctions have been reported. Further, iMovie 9 has been discontinued and is no longer sold by Apple. Since you replaced your drive, it is not likely that iMovie 9 is still on there, unless you migrated it over. You could look in the Applications folder to see. The better option, if your computer specs will allow it, is to update to current iMovie 10.1.8 and High Sierra.

Click on the app store icon in your dock (the icon with a large "A" in a blue circle), sign in to your account with your apple I.D. and password, and then click on the Purchased tab and Update tab to see what iMovie download options are available to you.

If still not, in the app store side bar on the right hand side, click on "apps made by Apple" and see if iMovie 10 is available there.

-- Rich

Imovie 9 download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.