Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amazon winner pop ups on my iPhone

Eveytime I open my internet on my iPhone 6+ I get this amazon prize winner pop up. I have my phone set to block pop ups on internet, but they come through every single time. It’s annoying and there has to be a way to stop this. Everything was cleared & I made sure my pop up blocking was on. If anyone can help it would be great. Nothing like trying to look something up and having a pop up on your iPhone get in the way.

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 10:26 AM

Go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

How to block pop-ups in Safari - Apple Support

679 replies

Jan 18, 2018 2:07 PM in response to lcascio

No one has figured out how to hijack your phone. Someone has hijacked a website you visited. Do the following:

• Turn on Airplane Mode
  • Go to Settings/Safari and tap Clear History and Website Data
  • double-press the HOME button, find the Safari screen image and swipe it up to close the app
  • Restart your phone
  • Turn Airplane Mode off

This should clear the message. And don't go back to whatever website you were on the first time it happened.

Jan 18, 2018 1:49 PM in response to kainalu

This is happening non-stop for me. I've done all the steps Apple says to do and it still occurs. It happens on very legitimate sites such as leading news sites like NY Times, Washington Post, Fox News, CNN, and everywhere else...

I'm very concerned someone has figured out a way to get a trojan or other piece of malware on the iphone itself, it's just strange this happens on so many sites.

The symptoms for me: I'm reading a page and suddenly I get a full page popup for a free Amazon or Walmart gift card, free iphone, etc... There is no way to go back at that point, the back button is disable and you have to close the browser and go back to the original site you were on.

Pay attention APPLE! Someone has figured out how to hijack the iphone!!!

Jan 19, 2018 6:15 AM in response to whynot3

I believe Lawrence is saying that once you visit the infected website, it is then able to interrupt every website you visit. Since I’m sure none of us can remember which website we were visiting when it first happened, I intend to follow Lawrence’s instructions, and then make note of the website if and when it first appears again. Can’t hurt to try.

Jan 19, 2018 8:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

This is not helpful and you are not listening. All of us have done the "clear history" and all those steps and it does NOT work.

This happens to me multiple times a day and with multiple websites, including washington post, CNN, fox news, Amazon, and random other sites I go to. So if we want to use an iphone we're saying we have to clear history and website data and restart the phone multiple times a day??? No thanks!

Somebody has figured out a way to seriously compromise the browsing experience on iphones that has now gone viral and affects many common websites. This iphone/safari vulnerability needs to be looked at.

For now I'll research using a different browser, perhaps this is a Safari vulnerability.

Jan 19, 2018 8:48 AM in response to lcascio

It does impact the function of websites - a lot. But I haven't had the issue since I disabled Java. Apple needs to admit the issue and at least let us know they are working on it. The response to 'clear website data' must have come from an inexperienced tech as it was obviously not tested. The setting to prevent Cross Site scripting should catch the redirect but it doesn't appear to be working correctly.

Feb 14, 2018 7:04 PM in response to ucliker

As long as you go to the sites that they came from they will keep coming back. They know you have an iPhone from your browser’s metadata, which is why you get them but people on other devices don’t. The site or sites are infected. That is their problem. Go to Settings/Safari and tap on advanced and Website Data. Tap Show All Sites. Using Search Find any cookies that contain 99 and delete them. Also delete any cookies for the site you visited. Or just delete all cookies. If you see another one do not click a close button on the sire or the pop up; it isn’t really a close button. Instead tap on the URL field, the x to the right, and enter a new URL such as google.com.

Ive gotten these also, but what I have posted worked for me.

Mar 25, 2018 6:55 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I tried just about everything, plus turning off javascript while performing your steps. This stuff is just vicious. There must be something else at work here.

Now, if I don't use javascript at all, the problem doesn't appear at all. But without javascript most sites are not viewable. So whatever is causing this amazon congratulations popup, it's powered by javascript.

The only thing I haven't tried is ad blocker. I'm also considering doing something more drastic, such as wiping an my iPhone clean. Are these mxxxxxfxxxers registering a million websites? Everything I got seemed to come from *.top mostly.

User uploaded file

Jul 4, 2018 7:39 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Well, I set trap for the particular “redirect” domain that seemed to be affecting American Thinker, and sure enough, the exact same characteristics I expected - just leaving the web page open for an hour or two will eventually cause the JavaScript to whisk your browser off to perdition. Open DNS is my friend - I block pesky domains from advertising, etc:

User uploaded file

Now to persuade them they have a problem. Thanks again for the useful information here

Mar 18, 2018 6:39 AM in response to kainalu

Check Safari settings and security preferences

Make sure Safari security settings are turned on, particularly Block Pop-ups and Fraudulent Website Warning.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Safari and turn on Block Pop-ups and Fraudulent Website Warning.

On your Mac you can find these same options in the Security tab of Safari preferences. You can also click the Extensions tab in Safari preferences to check if you have any extensions installed that you prefer to turn off.

Mar 19, 2018 6:25 AM in response to papjo

That I know of, Facebook is its own thing. They place ads in the Newsfeed, in the right hand column, and other places. I don't know if there are any ad blockers that work in Facebook.

From what I see, Friendly for Facebook doesn't have anything to do with ad blocking. Rather, it allows you to access all of your social media sites from within one app.

With Friendly, you only need one app for all your Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and Twitter needs.

Oh, I finally see it when I expand the description. They want you to pay $1.99 for AdBlock. Well, you can do that without installing Friendly for Facebook at all. Or, don't pay anything and use the free AdBlock Plus, which I have on my Mac.

AdBlock Plus used to be found on Apple's own Safari Extensions page. I see they have the Mac version of AdGuard there now. That's the free one I have on my iPhone. I think I'll disable AdBlock Plus and give AdGuard a try.

Jun 26, 2018 10:39 PM in response to Toni466

Toni466 wrote:

Thank you for being slightly less hostile in your response than the first response was.

First of all, if this is supposed to be the be-all and end-all solution, then I'm not sure why can't it be it saved to the first page

The solution to the problem as it existed AT THE TIME OF THE INITIAL post 6 months ago is at the top. But your problem is not the same; the original post was for pop-ups; you have a web page that LOOKS like a popup-up but is actually just a web page. If you had posted a new message rather than tagging on to a 6 month old thread you would have gotten a solution that would apply to your problem. And that solution is an ad blocker, because in reality what you are seeing is just an ad.

It is not an iPhone problem; it appears on Android phones and tablets, Windows computers, Mac computers - anything with a web browser.

Here's additional information that you would have been given if you had posted in a new thread: Dealing with Safari popups that won't go away

Jul 12, 2018 5:12 PM in response to NasFL1060

Turning off Javascript works, sort of. Sort of like cutting off your head to cure a headache. With Javascript off no secure website will work.

Here are the instructions that actually work, for now, until the bad guys find a way around these latest. And when they do we will find another solution: Dealing with Safari popups that won't go away

Amazon winner pop ups on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.