Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari-PayPal problem (new 2018)

I can log in to my PayPal account when using Safari, however have been unable to complete online purchases (e.g. ebay, others) through PayPal since the beginning of the year.

There are no issues when using Google Chrome.

Thank you for any assistance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 6:27 PM

I'm having this issue as well in Safari 11.0.3. When I test my paypal purchase buttons and links in Safari, I test them not logged into my paypal account, as most customers visiting my site won't initially be logged in. When I click the paypal button or link, Safari leaves my site and starts to load paypal,—I see PayPal, Inc. as the name of the browser tab— but the page stays white and never finishes loading.

As Mosabon suggested, if I login to paypal in a separate tab and then click the paypal button on my site, it opens the link successfully, but customers will not know to do this, and if I tell them, they may decide that it's too much trouble.

I don't think this is an issue with all types of paypal buttons/links, only the types that require the customer to have a paypal account—in my case, a Subscription button/link. But Safari is the only browser that seems to have this issue at all. I've tested my paypal subscription buttons/links in Chrome and Firefox, and they work appropriately—the paypal purchase page opens and the customer can sign into paypal (or create a paypal account) there if they choose to purchase.

Apple, please advise on a fix. This is a huge issue for anyone that processes payments via paypal.

Thanks so much!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2018 6:27 PM in response to Somaknows

I'm having this issue as well in Safari 11.0.3. When I test my paypal purchase buttons and links in Safari, I test them not logged into my paypal account, as most customers visiting my site won't initially be logged in. When I click the paypal button or link, Safari leaves my site and starts to load paypal,—I see PayPal, Inc. as the name of the browser tab— but the page stays white and never finishes loading.

As Mosabon suggested, if I login to paypal in a separate tab and then click the paypal button on my site, it opens the link successfully, but customers will not know to do this, and if I tell them, they may decide that it's too much trouble.

I don't think this is an issue with all types of paypal buttons/links, only the types that require the customer to have a paypal account—in my case, a Subscription button/link. But Safari is the only browser that seems to have this issue at all. I've tested my paypal subscription buttons/links in Chrome and Firefox, and they work appropriately—the paypal purchase page opens and the customer can sign into paypal (or create a paypal account) there if they choose to purchase.

Apple, please advise on a fix. This is a huge issue for anyone that processes payments via paypal.

Thanks so much!

Jan 8, 2018 3:09 PM in response to Somaknows

What happens when you try? Is it due to a failure to log in? Can you log in to PayPal directly, to check your balance (for example)?

Are you using any non-Apple "anti-virus" / "cleaning" / "Internet security" junk, anything at all in those broad categories of useless garbage? Needless to say a lot of things won't work if you do.

You'll probably need to contact PayPal for help.

Jan 11, 2018 3:17 AM in response to Somaknows

I have the same issue but with other shops: Checking out and being redirected to PayPal.com Safari stays and does not show a PayPal login page (or what ever), only the circle is spinning.

I could figure out a workaround: open a new tab and login in to PayPal manually, then go back to the shop and check out again: now the paying process worked for me.

I think it depends on Apples new security tracking feature coming with the latest Safari version.

Safari-PayPal problem (new 2018)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.