Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro start up fails: blue-grey screen

Specs: MacBook Pro 15", Late 2011, Intel i7, 500Gb SSD HD. Problem occurred while running iOS X 10.12 (Sierra) and iOS X 10.13.2 (High Sierra). 10.13 updated yesterday morning and the computer ran fine for the first 24 hours. Fortunately, my data is backed up and not a concern.

This issue: MacBook loads to show the Apple logo and progress bar, the progress bar loads half-way then the screen blinks to blue-grey. Fans are running quietly. Despite many attempts to circumnavigate this problem, the computer always hangs on this screen. When left on the blue-grey screen, sometimes the computer appears unresponsive (there is no cursor) for up to 30 minutes, and sometimes the computer restarts automatically after approximately 2 minutes only to restart again in a continuous loop. Either way, it does not progress to the log in screen.

The first time this happened, I took my computer to a local Apple Repair Authorized company. In their words, "they reinstalled the OS and ran all the updates and then it started fine". And they charged me $100. Ten days later, I have the same problem again. I don't want to spend another $100 to have them run software updates, so I'm posting here first. Help!

Troubleshooting steps I have taken:

1. Cleared PRAM and restart: No change.

2. Reset SMC and restart: No change.

3. Attempted to boot in Safe Mode: Progress bar now loads completely and sits at "fully loaded" for about 2 minutes before blinking to same light blue screen.

4. Booted in verbose mode: rapidly scrolling text for about 10 seconds, then the same light-blue screen. Unable to read anything (...whats the point of verbose mode again?).

5. Booted in Single User Mode: While most of this is above my head, a few things seem odd to me in the log. These include:

nx_kernel_mount:1371: reloading after clean unmount, checkpoint xid 4754, superblock xid 4748

disk1s1: device is not readable.

disk1s1: IO failed, error = 13.

hfs_mountroot failed: 13

In Single User Mode the computer loads until :/ root#. both the commands "exit" and "reboot" result in the blue screen.

6. Ran Apple Diagnostics (online): Returned no hardware issues on either the quick or deep scans.

7. Local Apple Authorized Repair company ran more sophisticated Apple Hardware scan: This flagged the video card for a possible problem, but a specific video card test returned no errors.

8. Ran fsck in single user mode: Returned no issues, all checks okay.

9. Booted from USB copy of High Sierra (from which I can successfully boot another MacBook Pro): I can select the drive from the startup manager. When progress bar finishes loading, it blinks to a blue-grey screen and then to a dark grey screen. This appears to match the background when booting from the installation disk/drive, but the window with "Install", "Disk Utility", etc. doesn't show. I'm totally confused.

Miracles!

The computer gods are fickle. I have spent about 10 hours troubleshooting today. While typing this post I left the computer running the "restart loop" and after about 5 restarts, it jumped to the log in screen. I have no idea what changed.

While I'm glad I'm no longer staring at the blue-grey screen, I suspect this problem will occur again and I'd appreciate any diagnostic advice. I think I will do a clean install of 10.13 and manually port over my documents/applications.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 7:32 PM

That's not normal and suggest a hard disk drive / SSD not working properly, or its SATA cable or connector is faulty. The latter seems to be fairly common but is easily fixed. Is that SSD original or did you install it? Some of them just don't work well with High Sierra.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2018 7:32 PM in response to Wintour

That's not normal and suggest a hard disk drive / SSD not working properly, or its SATA cable or connector is faulty. The latter seems to be fairly common but is easily fixed. Is that SSD original or did you install it? Some of them just don't work well with High Sierra.

Feb 12, 2018 7:32 PM in response to Wintour

The devices are numbered sequentially in the order they're found. disk1s1 is usually an internal one.

Apple Diagnostics is only useful if it identifies a specific fault. Apple's diagnostics are more thorough, but if a particular hardware component is present and working as expected, it's not going to indicate anything wrong either.

Some aftermarket SSDs work well and complaints are literally unheard of: examples include OWC / MacSales "Mercury" series. Others are notoriously unreliable and prone to failure: examples include Samsung "EVO" series. If you have one of them throw it out.

Feb 12, 2018 7:29 PM in response to Wintour

UPDATE:

After using my miraculously resurrected Mac for about 3 weeks, it crashed again. Same symptoms.

I had even formatted the hard drive and clean installed the OS, so I am now quite confident it is a hardware issue and not a software issue. Even so, I reapplied all of the same fixes as described above.

Steps 1 - 4: Same results.

Step 5: Similar errors as given previously:

nx_kernel_mount:1371: reloading after unclean unmount, checkpoint xid 30055, superblock xid 30047

hfs_mountfs: but_meta_bread failed with 13

hfs_mount: hfs_mountfs returned error=13 for device unknown-dev

hfs_mountroot failed: 13

Step 6: Same results from Apple Diagnostics (cmd-R).

Step 7: Omitted.

Step 8: Same results from fsck.

Step 9: Now, when attempting to load from a bootable USB copy of OSX (that can successfully boot other MacBooks), is unsuccessful. After loading part way, the blue-grey screen appears.

After repeating these steps, I then did the following:

Step 10: Some posts suggested that a faulty SSD could be the issue. I removed and replaced the hard drive with an optical drive that I know works. Symptoms were unchanged. Blue-grey screen still appeared halfway through startup. This seems to rule out the SSD as the cause of the issue.

Other posts also point to faulty HD connector ribbon cable. I checked both ends were securely seated and the ribbon wasn't obviously kinked or damaged. Given that the same blue-grey screen appears even when loading off a bootable USB, this cable probably isn't the cause either (both USB and HD connectors are affected?).

Any suggestions on what my next step could be? I'm at a bit of a loss here. Money is pretty tight and don't want to spend a pile at my local Apple Authorized Service Centre only to have them tell me its a $2000 fix...

I'm suspicious it may be a faulty logic board. I know 2011 MacBook Pros were recalled due to faulty logic board issues, and mine had its logic board replaced in around 2014. Sound reasonable? Any way I can test this theory further to isolate where the problem may be coming from?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2018 7:49 PM in response to Wintour

I assume you mean a conventional hard disk drive? Not an optical drive which makes no sense.

If the cable is really $50 I agree that's a lot to spend but the alternative (logic board) is certainly cost-prohibitive. I don't know what the problem was with the problematic ribbon cables on that model but I'm certain it isn't something that could be seen with a naked eye. Look around for a cheap one, perhaps an identical MBP being sold for parts. The problem is certainly related to disk I/O but those are the only three relevant components.

A 2011 model MBP is probably beyond Apple's ability to service any more anyway. Their recommended fix would be a new one.

If you are interested in board level component repair (vs. replacement for ± $800... if you can find one) there are options. None of them are particularly attractive. If you are in the US, PowerBook Medic is knowledgeable and competent, and their prices seem too good to be true. Beware that turnaround time may take months.

Component level repair has become a lost art. Vendors are few and competent ones are practically nonexistent.

Feb 19, 2018 6:01 PM in response to Wintour

It appears the site Hosts removed your description of the fix. I can understand their reasons for doing so, since it is highly unscientific, difficult to control and unorthodox at best, along with a high likelihood of failure and even personal injury.

But I know what you did and I'm glad it worked out for you. As I wrote Apple won't fix that Mac any more, leaving you with only extremely limited and expensive repair alternatives that might not last very long anyway. Good job.

May 7, 2018 3:40 PM in response to Wintour

I read with interest your issues as have the exact same situation. Based on the writings, it appears as if you solved the gray screen issue, however, I am unable to locate the directions. Therefore, would you please email the instructions as I am at a total loss on next steps other than purchasing a new device.

Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide.

[Email Edited by Host]

May 5, 2018 1:39 PM in response to Wintour

My Macbook Pro 15 i7 late 2011 had the same symptoms starting yesterday after an automatic overnight update, after reading your post and the miracle thing I decided to try the same you did and it finally got to the logon screen, but it took much more then 5 reboots..

Can't open Photos, the Macbook freezes and reboots.

May 7, 2018 3:38 PM in response to antemax

Hey, sorry you’re battling this too.

Could be an issue with that cable but I’ll bet it’s your graphics card that is failing. That’s what it turned out to be with mine. Symptoms are pretty varied and random but a hardware diagnostics test eventually revealed that there was a problem with the card.

The bad news is that there is a very widely known issue with 2011 macs (big lawsuits, extended warranty program for a

while—although that’s no longer available). Lots of info if you google “nvidia graphics card mac 2011”. Even worse, there isn’t really any way to fix it. A new logic board (which the graphics card bonded to) is about $800 plus labour at my local Mac repair shop, and will have the same faulty card. Very frustrating.

Good news is that I fixed it. I can’t tell you how, because every time I post about it here a moderator deletes my post.

May 7, 2018 3:42 PM in response to Wintour

I’m going to try posting this again, hopefully it doesn’t get deleted before you see it.

I heated my motherboard in an oven. Worked like a charm. Seems like lots of people have had success doing this. I’ve has 6 months since the fix with no issues!

In pretty much followed these instructions exactly: http://ales.io/2014/03/09/how-to-bake-a-mac.html

May 28, 2018 2:44 AM in response to Wintour

For what it is worth, I updated my Late 2011 15" MBP to High Sierra a few days ago. It worked great until I finally accepted the nagging security update reminder and finally downloaded that update. It did exactly what it is doing on the original asker's computer. I see a grey screen after the loading bar has gone somewhere in the middle and then an endless restart loop. The last time it happened, I had upgraded to High Sierra from Yosemite in-place (no fresh install) and then eventually applied security updates to High Sierra. Next, it happened again on a fresh install of High Sierra, as soon as security updates were applied. This time it also showed me a blue screen at times, and actually booted once or twice only to fail and go back to that blue screen failed state.

The OS on this machine has been always been updated and no fresh OS was installed on it since early 2012 (I think it came with OSX Lion). I had also broken some configuration because of which some things took a long time and I had a lot of things to start suspecting for the issues, software and hardware when it first started acting up and going into grey-screen + restart loop initially.

I initially tried all the diagnostics steps OP describes in their post except the recovery step because my internal keyboard is partially broken and I use an external keyboard which does not get recognised at that stage in the boot sequence. After all that I could do, I suspected my hard drive may have finally given up since the verbose mode showed many i/o failures and such.

I was fortunate to have another hard drive handy, so I formatted and did a fresh install of High Sierra again on this machine. It worked fine for the first few hours until the security update popped up. I thought it would be good to apply this update, but what did I know. The machine started going back into the blue screens and grey screens and restart loops as soon as this security update was applied.

I somehow think the security update (sorry, I didn't note its reference number) broke my old macbook pro (late 2011), again. I will do another fresh install of High Sierra (and not apply security updates this time) and see if that changes anything. Why upgrade to High Sierra at all? Well, I wouldn't do it if Apple and a lot of other applications I need to use weren't troubling and shaming me for using an old system. Some of them even refuse to install on 10.10 including the new version of the behemoth XCode. And if I run an old compatible XCode on this system, all sorts of things including homebrew starts breaking up with me.

Jun 5, 2018 10:46 AM in response to kamalmorjal

They've sure got us trapped between these unavoidable updates and maintaining our "old" hardware. 😠

Very curious that this happened to you after updating. My problems also started after updating to 10.13. I'm 100% convinced my symptoms are the result of a failing graphics card. I've fixed it twice now by using the "unconventional" oven-based repair methods described in various websites/youtube videos. Apple moderators will probably delete my post again if I describe it further so you'll have to google it. I suppose it is possible the graphics card failure was somehow caused by the software update.

Good luck!

MacBook Pro start up fails: blue-grey screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.