Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i stop my child from switching VPN to bypass my security

I got OurPact, which has been a godsend on our iPhones. However, my HS daughter has tried to install VPN apps so she can bypass OurPact. At the moment, she is unable to add it as an app. But i'm worried she'll figure out a way to do it and then the security service is all for nothing.

I really really hate how Apple doesn't have more built in components for parents to keep children safe. I mean really--we're spending all our disposable income on their products. Give us some control.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 12:55 PM

If you are using OurPact to block Apps a VPN App will do nothing even if it could be installed. As it doesn't magically allow access to Apps.

A VPN would only work at the router level. A VPN hides the IP addresses of the websites they want to open from the router, but not from the Website restrictions you can impose on the device. And would be pointless if they cannot open the App to browse the web.

Settings->General->Restrictions->Websites, You can specify which websites are allowed.

There's already plenty of control, learning what things can and can't do is also important.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2018 12:55 PM in response to kristenboe

If you are using OurPact to block Apps a VPN App will do nothing even if it could be installed. As it doesn't magically allow access to Apps.

A VPN would only work at the router level. A VPN hides the IP addresses of the websites they want to open from the router, but not from the Website restrictions you can impose on the device. And would be pointless if they cannot open the App to browse the web.

Settings->General->Restrictions->Websites, You can specify which websites are allowed.

There's already plenty of control, learning what things can and can't do is also important.

Jan 9, 2018 2:40 PM in response to kristenboe

OurPact is well-defined by its name. It is a service that supports an agreement between parent and child to abide by a set of rules. It is not a way to unilaterally impose security on a child's phone, and was never intended for that purpose.

You don't need an app for VPN; it is built into the phone. However, to use it you need a VPN service provider. They are not free. Besides, VPN services do not let you bypass any of the parental controls that are built into the phone.

how do i stop my child from switching VPN to bypass my security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.