Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro shut down

My MacBook Pro shut down while charging with MacSafe and won’t turn on again. I tried the ‘Shift+Ctrl+Power’ buttons sequence and nothing happened. It supposed to have some charge on the battery but won’t indicate it. Don’t charge with the MacSafe and don’t turn on either. I’ll appreciate any help. Regards,

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3.3, Using Sierra

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 1:16 PM

4 replies

Jan 10, 2018 6:02 PM in response to RIvonne

What kind of machine?

It's not that I'd recommend you do it yourself if you're not comfortable, but I can relay what I did.

I had mine just lock up and I couldn't power it up or power it down. I think it might have been because of one non-Apple, non-MFI Lightning cable that I tried. I heard that they sometimes cause these panics where nothing can be done to shut it down until the battery is completely dead or disconnected. I tried all the stuff including the SMC reset. However, it just couldn't get out of whatever loop it was in. It was really weird too with a faint electric hum I could hear. Other than that - nothing. No display, the MagSafe light wouldn't work, and the battery indicator wouldn't light up when pressing the button. When I brought it into my closest Apple Store without an appointment I was told there were no appointments until a week later or I could try to get on a waiting list the next morning. So I took it home, looked up the iFixit instructions for removing the battery connector, and did it myself. Actually not that bad, and now I'm confident enough to swap a drive or change the RAM.

Right now I think it's really hard to get an appointment for Genius Bar support at an Apple Store since they're being swamped with requests for iPhone battery replacements. But they would probably do this as a courtesy if you could get an appointment.

Jan 15, 2018 10:24 AM in response to y_p_w

It was more less what happened to my mac, but the fan wasn’t working.

I did have to gently remove my battery as I have to work and got really desperate. It actually worked and is running very well, not using the generic usb anymore only the original one. Did learn my lesson.

Much appreciated the help ☺

My MacBook Pro shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.