Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan security update 2017-005 kills LDAP?

Hi,

I've now spend the last two days with working on our El Capitan Server, because after installing the last security update 2017-005 our Openfire XMPP-Server for iChat stopped working (nobody was able to log in any more). Then I've realized that the same happened to the shares of our NASes. Both were connected to the El Capitan Server with Open Directory running (using LDAP). I also was not able to get a VNC connection to the OS X Server with my OD Account, only with the local Admin Account.

Now after two days of googeling around, updating, reverting to old backups and losing my mind and nerves, I am pretty shure, that the last update is guilty for this mess. Last test was right now reverting the Server to the state before the update: the iChat server started and we were able to use it with our OD Accounts.

Then I only installed the security update and the LDAP connection was gone.

Can someone confirm this behavior?

Is it a bug in the update?

Coudn't find anyone else reporting this problem but maybe I searched wrong.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany and not used to it 😉

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 5:21 AM

Hi,

Glad to see you have found a working solution!

OSX server does work, but needs more TLC from Apple to stay a reliable option for System Administrators. Documentation is limited and many custom options are not in GUI but in CL and get overwritten with each new update. So I can understand why you would phase out OSX server in your case.

For me it still works great with all my clients, but I do see Apple limiting the Server.app more and more (who at Apple thought that moving filesharing to System Preferences was an excellent idea...)

I hope Apple as with the iMac Pro and modular MacPro will give professional server software a second chance...

More and more Linux proves to be more versatile, easier to use and with less issues.

Goodluck, thank your for your feedback.

Jeffrey

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 5:21 AM in response to DB_yousign

Hi,

Glad to see you have found a working solution!

OSX server does work, but needs more TLC from Apple to stay a reliable option for System Administrators. Documentation is limited and many custom options are not in GUI but in CL and get overwritten with each new update. So I can understand why you would phase out OSX server in your case.

For me it still works great with all my clients, but I do see Apple limiting the Server.app more and more (who at Apple thought that moving filesharing to System Preferences was an excellent idea...)

I hope Apple as with the iMac Pro and modular MacPro will give professional server software a second chance...

More and more Linux proves to be more versatile, easier to use and with less issues.

Goodluck, thank your for your feedback.

Jeffrey

Jan 30, 2018 1:16 AM in response to jepping

Jeffrey,

don't know if you've seen this Announcement of Apple?

It seems, that Apple is going to kill the Server, besides you are using it only for MDM.

I think it doesn't matter how the new MacPro will be, with this Announcement you will not want to use it only for a little Device Management – it will be just too expensive for this. So we can hope, that maybe it will be a good workstation again.

If you need local sever services, Apple now said it indirectly themselves, go and get a machine with Linux and / or Windows Server on it.

How disappointing 😠

All the best,

Darko

Jan 10, 2018 6:42 AM in response to DB_yousign

Hi,

Looks like Open Directory did not survive the security update.

You can export an archive of your open directory master and after the update, import the archive to revive the ODmaster if needed.

The Open Directory can become unusable or become corrupt after an update.

Have backups ready, export and clones and run those before each update. Afterwards check every service for functionality and verify you can edit the Open Directory with diradmin.

I have experienced OD failures mostly after an update or upgrade, but with a good backup you can restore the OD quickly. How or why it fails remains uncertain, the point I am trying to make is to have a backup plan and expect the worse but hope for the best with every update.

Have you tried this option:

sudo db_recover -h /var/db/open-ldap/open-ldap-data/

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Jan 10, 2018 6:42 AM in response to jepping

Thank you for your reply.

I think I've tried almost everything you can find on the Internet. Got more than 50 sites open right now only with LDAP troubleshooting 😕

Destroying and restoring the OD was the second thing after checking the DNS settings. Didn't help.

Right now we're having the System running with the state before the update and our iChat ist working without any problems.

Only our two QNAP NAS don't show any Users or Groups, but they show our LDAP Server as "online" and no errors in the logs.

But the Server is filling his slapd.log with:

server1 slapd[46338]: odusers_krb_auth: Error obtaining credentials for username_we_set_in_NAS: -1765328228

This is weird, because we're not using Kerberos.

Even when I unload the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.Kerberos.kdc.plist the entries in the logs still keep comming.

Just tried the db_recover again and it dindn't help too.

Jan 10, 2018 7:33 AM in response to DB_yousign

Hi,

You didn't get an error with:

sudo db_recover -h /var/db/open-ldap/open-ldap-data/ or

sudo db_recover -h /var/db/openldap/open-ldap-data/

depending on your macOS version?

No error means, no issue... but that would not be very helpful.

The way I reset an ODmaster is, run:

sudo slapconfig -destroyldapserver

then reboot

check dns settings and use the server.app to import an ODmaster archive.

That always works for me.

As far as the QNAP NAS, after a restore of an ODmaster things have changed in UUID, so you need to reset those connections as well. Even if nothing has changed, remove the connection from the NAS, reboot and reconnect them. Also check the time on all devices, to make sure kerberos will work, with more than a couple of minutes difference kerberos will present a whole array of errors.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Jan 10, 2018 7:33 AM in response to jepping

Thank you again Jeffrey,

sudo db_recover -h /var/db/openldap/open-ldap-data/ gave no error.

I did the ODmaster reset yesterday the same way you do. But I can repeat it only when the guys are gone here and no one is working. I'll try it again asap.

All our machines are using the same ntp-server and have the same time.

I just tried the disconnect - reboot - reconnect with the small NAS (only for backups and testing) … still the same. Server "online" but no users and groups and still getting the messages in the slapd.log

Jan 16, 2018 5:20 AM in response to jepping

Hi and sorry for my late reply … had some other stuff to do, so I had to pause this problem.

The NAS models are QNAP TVS-EC 880 and a TS-453 Pro. There is not much you can change on the NAS and it's hard to find good information about the possibilities of the command line of QNAP.

Your link is about getting OD connected to AD with kerberos, and we don't have an AD-Server.

But I've tried rekerberizing our OD a bunch of times the Apple way (touch /var/db/openldap/migration/.rekerberize …) and as far I can say nothing happened. Maybe because we don't use kerberos or maybe I just don't know where I could find any changes or see that something happened.

I was also able to try the LDAP desroying and restoring and now I can say, that there must be something fundamental wrong with our OD and I just can't find any clou what happened there.

When I restore a fresh backup of the OD, almost everything will work. Only the QNAP machines don't get any informations of the Users and Groups in the OD, like described before.

I tried to restore a old Backup (Nov. 2016) from the OD and than the QNAPs instantly showed all Users and Groups like it was before this problem started.

But after a restart of the server the OD was always off and I wasn't able to start it again.

I tried than:

server1:~ admin$ sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.openldap.slapd.plist
Password:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.openldap.slapd.plist: Could not find specified service
server1:~ admin$ sudo /usr/libexec/slapd -Tt
5a5c9b9f bdb(dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx): file id2entry.bdb has LSN 1/2120018, past end of log at 1/42237
5a5c9b9f bdb(dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx): Commonly caused by moving a database from one database environment
5a5c9b9f bdb(dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx): to another without clearing the database LSNs, or by removing all of
5a5c9b9f bdb(dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx): the log files from a database environment
5a5c9b9f bdb(dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx): /var/db/openldap/openldap-data/id2entry.bdb: unexpected file type or format
5a5c9b9f bdb_db_open: database "dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx": db_open(/var/db/openldap/openldap-data/id2entry.bdb) failed: Invalid argument (22).
5a5c9b9f backend_startup_one (type=bdb, suffix="dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx"): bi_db_open failed! (22)
slap_startup failed (test would succeed using the -u switch)

A recovery with:

sudo db_recover -cv -h /var/db/openldap/authdata/

wasn't possible.

I also tried to make a dump of the OD in a LDIF and restore it like described here.

Sadly no luck either.

Right now I'm thinking of copying as much as possible out of the OD to a text file and recreating it manually. Then I'll search for a solution to use Linux as a server for Filesharing and User management with OS X Clients.

Or do you have any other ideas I should try?

I miss our Snow Leopard Server 😢 – the last realy stable and real Server System of Apple.

Wasn't perfect, but much better than this.

Jan 16, 2018 7:07 AM in response to DB_yousign

DB_yousign wrote:

But I've tried rekerberizing our OD a bunch of times the Apple way (touch /var/db/openldap/migration/.rekerberize …) and as far I can say nothing happened. Maybe because we don't use kerberos or maybe I just don't know where I could find any changes or see that something happened.

Just found the mistake, I used "killall PasswordService" instead of "slapconfig -firstboot" 😊

Now the rekerberizing worked, but still no change at the NAS.

Jan 19, 2018 8:39 AM in response to jepping

Hi again,

we still did not manage to get rid of the problem, so we decided to set up an Linux VM with Samba 4 and AD DC. We found a good solution for this in the Univention Corporate Server (UCS).

Right now the UCS is working and we can bind our Clients an NAS boxes to it and it seems to work quite well.

I'll do now some intensive testing with it and if everything is ok, we will start to move as much services as possible away from the OS X Server.

It seems, that this is the begining of the end of OS X Server in our company. Maybe it's the best, because Apple has showed in the last years, that they're obviously not interested any more in professional business customers, besides they are only using iOS devices, in love with glossy displays and ok with OSs which are still beta.

Jan 31, 2018 4:27 AM in response to DB_yousign

Hi,

Yes, I have seen it and have seen the response from the community. Pro's and cons.

Sadly for me and a lot of other admins the osx server was a great little piece of serversoftware, with some tweaking could do quite a lot. But I guess for Apple keeping all those services maintained and updated is too much, when the beauty of it, usually when DNS is ok, it just works out of the box quite good.

Investing in Kerio for instance is costly compared to macOS Server and now you need one or more servers to run all those services which will take some time to get to know...

Fortunately this statement does clarify that we need to invest in another solution for the next couple of years. I can still run sierra and the server.app fine for at least a year or two before I need to switch. That should be enough time to see whether other solutions work or not and migrate your customers.

Thanks for your update and your input concerning this matter.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

El Capitan security update 2017-005 kills LDAP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.