Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplement on my early 2011 15" Macbook Pro, which runs High Sierra 10.13.2 just fine.

Machine: early 2011 15" Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD that is only about 30% full.

I tried the install from the AppStore and the machine basically bricked. After 3 hours of staring at a black screen (no progress bar ever appeared), I forced the power off by holding the power button for 10 seconds. I tried to restart the machine and it made its tone but then did nothing further. I tried booting to safe-mode, recovery-mode, and a force boot - none of those made any difference - none got a progress bar, Apple logo, or anything but a black screen. To be clear, recovery mode would not get an Apple logo or go on to the recovery mode options. I got a tone, then a black screen in each case. My keyboard backlight was the only indication the machine was on, and it would go off and allow me to start a new attempt, if I held the power off for 10s.

I then proceeded to reset the NVRAM after which point the laptop booted straight into recovery mode. I recovered from a recent full Time Machine backup from my Time Capsule. The recovery completed and machine rebooted, but machine gave the circle with a slash through it suggesting the hard drive was corrupt, not found, or not bootable.

I booted into recovery mode again and used disk utility to reformat the drive. I then did a recovery from the same time capsule backup once more and this time it worked flawlessly. I was back up and running with no apparent issues, so I ran another Time Machine backup for good measure.

I went to the AppStore again and tried to install the 10.13.2 Supplement again and this time it downloaded and gave me the progress bar like it was installing. However, the machine rebooted and gave a notification that the install could not be completed automatically - with no further info of what to do next. I checked in AppStore and the last up date is a set of patches for 10.13.2 installed on 12/24/17. But it doesn't even show the 10.13.2 Supplement as an option to install anymore - it says my machine is up to date - but I doubt it.

My 2 new MacBook Pros, 2 MacBooks, and 2 iMacs all show the Supplement as successfully installing, so I'm not sure how to get this older MacBook Pro to install the Supplement. Any ideas? Thank you!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 8:09 AM

16 replies

Feb 13, 2018 8:13 PM in response to jcavalie

Crosslinking to my post, which is the last post under Cannot install OS Mac High Sierra

The procedure, although painful, full clean install of 10.13.2 and retrieving everything from my latest Time Capsule, Time Machine backup worked.

You can imagine how long it took for half a terabyte to be restored via ethernet.

I'm waiting a long time before I try this upgrade again!

Ugh

Jan 10, 2018 6:54 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Thank you. So I went ahead and tried that and it *appeared* to install without any errors. However, after another clean reboot, I checked the Safari version and it is not the updated version. It shows: Version 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.3)

I opened AppStore and it now shows the Supplement as needing to be installed....so trying again from the AppStore installer.

Jan 10, 2018 7:09 PM in response to jcavalie

Well - I'm just going in circles. It ran through the install again, but gave the notification upon reboot that the automatic install couldn't be completed. Still stuck on base 10.13.2. At least it doesn't brick the laptop anymore.

sw_vers run from the command line shows:

ProductName: Mac OS X

ProductVersion: 10.13.2

BuildVersion: 17C88

My macs that had a successful update all show BuildVersion: 17C205

Not sure what to try next...thanks in advance for more ideas!

Jan 10, 2018 9:09 PM in response to jcavalie

I am having the same issue on a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro. I have run the update from App Store and through a direct download from Apple. Both ways appear to complete the install and restart but the computer comes back with the Update Not Installed message.

A manual check shows the Build Version as 17C88 and Safari still not updated.

Hoping for an answer too...

Jan 19, 2018 10:59 AM in response to Cavaquinho

I *think* I saw online what to do for your scenario. I started searching. IIRC it had something to do with booting to safe mode and then deleting the installer from the applications folder. But I'm not positive as I haven't had that issue so I was skimming for situations like mine. At this point, I'm waiting for the next update from Apple and hopefully it will install and include whatever fixes are necessary.

Unable to install High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplement on my early 2011 15" Macbook Pro, which runs High Sierra 10.13.2 just fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.