Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect "not enough free space to backup iPhone" error

My 256GB iPhone X has only 54GB of space being used. My MacBookPro has over 200GB of free space. And yet iTunes is telling me there isn't enough space to back it up. I've deleted all previous backups just in case. I've never managed to back up this iPhone since I got it in December, so I can't rule out an issue with the phone itself, but that seems unlikely.

Other posts about this issue over the past year have not been resolved, or have been "solved" with a link to this (unhelpful) article:

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a backup

I've tried restarting both the iPhone and the MBP. Both are running the latest OS. I can live with only iCloud backups, I suppose, but I've always done periodic backups to my Mac via iTunes for extra safety.

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be most welcome.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 3:03 AM

I apologize for my poor english.

1. As you can see reading this support article, when you make a backup via iCloud, you actually backup iMessages, SMS and MMS too: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

That's obviously true also when you backup via iTunes on yr computer. So that's not an isuue.

And no, you can't sync messages via iCloud (I think that Apple chose not to sync because of the high quantity of data that generally are stored in our Message app, but it's only my opinion).

2. The problem is (and remains): why doesn't your iPhone backup via iTunes and why (how) could you backup your iPad? I haven't an appropriate answer, but some settings, in your iTunes and/or in your iPX, could be wrong.

Just a trivial question: have you tried to backup manually your iphone X via itunes pressing the button "Back up now"? What happens? Same error?

3. Ok, if on your iTunes you have set "automatically backup.." to "this computer" then yes, the normal behaviour is that from that point you disabled automatic backup to iCloud. That's ok, and you can enable it again.

4. Keeping in mind my point #1, if you can make a iCloud backup, you can restore your iPX to factory settings (so a fresh copy of iOS will be re-installed on your iPhone), and you can set it up as new and test it for a while without restoring from your previously made backup.

You can follow the steps provided in this guide:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

When done, try to make a backup via iTunes. if it works, then you can restore yr iPX from the previously made backup, and try again. If the error comes back again, you need to investigate your iPhone settings.

5. Just to clarify: you wrote in one of your latest posts "I actually have the 2TB iCloud plan, of which 1.67GB are free". I think you wanted to say that you now have 1,67TB free.

Regards

Giulio

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2018 3:03 AM in response to disconnekt

I apologize for my poor english.

1. As you can see reading this support article, when you make a backup via iCloud, you actually backup iMessages, SMS and MMS too: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

That's obviously true also when you backup via iTunes on yr computer. So that's not an isuue.

And no, you can't sync messages via iCloud (I think that Apple chose not to sync because of the high quantity of data that generally are stored in our Message app, but it's only my opinion).

2. The problem is (and remains): why doesn't your iPhone backup via iTunes and why (how) could you backup your iPad? I haven't an appropriate answer, but some settings, in your iTunes and/or in your iPX, could be wrong.

Just a trivial question: have you tried to backup manually your iphone X via itunes pressing the button "Back up now"? What happens? Same error?

3. Ok, if on your iTunes you have set "automatically backup.." to "this computer" then yes, the normal behaviour is that from that point you disabled automatic backup to iCloud. That's ok, and you can enable it again.

4. Keeping in mind my point #1, if you can make a iCloud backup, you can restore your iPX to factory settings (so a fresh copy of iOS will be re-installed on your iPhone), and you can set it up as new and test it for a while without restoring from your previously made backup.

You can follow the steps provided in this guide:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

When done, try to make a backup via iTunes. if it works, then you can restore yr iPX from the previously made backup, and try again. If the error comes back again, you need to investigate your iPhone settings.

5. Just to clarify: you wrote in one of your latest posts "I actually have the 2TB iCloud plan, of which 1.67GB are free". I think you wanted to say that you now have 1,67TB free.

Regards

Giulio

Jan 10, 2018 8:37 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi Giulio,

Yes, iTunes reports the correct SN and amount of iPhone storage used. There is no option that I can find in iTunes for automatic backup, only sync. Even though I don't need to sync anything between my computer and my phone, I tried a sync to see what would happen. Before syncing, it tried to back up the phone and reported the same error about not enough space. Then it completed the rest of the sync successfully.

Also: I am able to initiate and complete an iCloud backup via iTunes. I have tried doing the local backup with the encryption option selected and deselected, but neither works.

Jan 10, 2018 11:33 AM in response to disconnekt

Hi

This means you have not got enough space on iCloud you get 5G free

Go to iCloud manage storeage you can buy 50G of storage for £0.79 per month

Or less than $1 dollar

If you leave iCloud backup on when you charge an iphone / ipad it automatically backs up to iCloud Over your wifi.

If ever you need to restore iPhone you have the latest iCloud backup.

I haven't used my pc For backup for 4 years.

Cheers

Brian 🇬-1F1E7;

Jan 10, 2018 12:23 PM in response to disconnekt

UPDATE: I just tested the same process with my iPad and it successfully backed up to my Mac. It has about 35GB of space used. My Mac still has over 200GB of free space, i.e. 4 times the space used on my iPhone, so I can only infer that the issue is not with iTunes but with my iPhone.

I'd happily wipe my iPhone and start from scratch, but I don't want to lose 10 years of Messages. If only Apple had added iCloud Messages sync in iOS 11 like they announced, that would not be an issue.

Jan 12, 2018 9:58 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Giulio, thanks so much for all this detailed info. When I have some time that I don't need to use my phone for a while, I will do as you suggest to see if I can make a backup from a factory restore. But if it does work, that means trouble for me, since I really don't want to lose all of my messages...

And yes, you're right, I did mean 1.67TB 😉

Incorrect "not enough free space to backup iPhone" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.