Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD Login Script errors

I've been using this as a unix command to login a lab of computers for several years

osascript -e 'tell application "SecurityAgent" to activate'; \

osascript -e 'tell application "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" to quit'; \

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to keystroke "student"'; \

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to keystroke return'

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to delay 0.9'; \

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to keystroke "learn"'; \

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to delay 0.9'; \

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to keystroke return'

and randomly get this error message back;

osascript[58392:3633525] CFPasteboardRef CFPasteboardCreate(CFAllocatorRef, CFStringRef) : failed to create global data (repeated 10+ times or more)

the login works, so just curious to know what might be causing this error.

This same question was asked a few years ago in this discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7382301

With this as one suggested solution:

If that does not work, for the account your using to remote into the computer.

login to the computer as root

open system preferences Security & Privacy

click on privacy tab

click on accessablity

check SystemUIServer

When I follow these instructions there is no SystemUIServer to check.

iMac, 10.8.x - 10.11.x

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 8:53 AM

5 replies

Jan 10, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Richard Davis7

The root user is a user. The sudo commands shown switch to a different user; to the specified user, or to the current GUI console user.

sudo -u username {command}

sudo -u $(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{print $3}') {command}

In this case, {command} is the name of the shell script containing those osascript commands. If the script is in the file /Users/Foobar/myscript, then the commands would be:

sudo -u username /Users/Foobar/myscript

sudo -u $(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{print $3}') /Users/Foobar/myscript

Jan 10, 2018 5:59 PM in response to MrHoffman

I feel like we are not on the same page here. I am using a Unix command from the Apple Remote Desktop Admin app and sending this as root to machines that are at the login window. Not a script saved locally on the machine, which I suppose I could try. But this worked without any feedback or errors up to Os 10.10.x, then started showing the described feedback or error when the machines were upgraded to 10.11.x. I haven't notice if I get the same results on 10.12 or 10.13 machines, but will check tomorrow.

Fortunately, the login process still works on the 10.11.x machines. I was just curious about where or why I was now seeing the error above.

Jan 11, 2018 9:58 AM in response to Richard Davis7

Then send each command with the specified sudo, and see if that works?

I understand that this used to work for you, and that macOS has changed, and I know that security around the GUI has gotten upgraded for various reasons — processes running under different users and trying to access the GUI is not goodness from the perspective of security, unfortunately.

ARD Login Script errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.