Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After the new ios update all contacts lost

After the 11.2.2 update on my iphone 6s plus i have now lost all of my contacts! How is this possible. How can i take back my contacts?? Br Adem

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 9:08 AM

12 replies

Jan 19, 2018 1:21 PM in response to adembadem

I updated my iPhone x to 11.2.2 and i lost all my contacts, except some recently added ones,I restored and downloaded a recent iCloud backup ,The contacts showed up at the beginning but the moment i resumed downloading my photos from iCloud, all the contacts disappeared!!

I also tried downgrading to 11.2.1, but the moment i started up the phone and requested an icloud phone restoration ,the phones start up menu forced me to download and install 11.2.2.... very frastrating

Jan 19, 2018 1:27 PM in response to Sandwave

Downgrading is not supported. You cannot do it. As far as contacts are concerned, the behavior you describe sounds like you may be using more than one account to sync contacts. How your contact behave would depend on how you are syncing them, and what is your default account when using multiple accounts. Are you using iCloud, an email account, another cloud service such as Gmail? Check in your iCloud settings to ensure that you have Contacts turned on and are logged into the same iCloud account the contacts reside in. If you are using iCloud, login on the computer and check to see if your contacts are there. Otherwise, check your email accounts in Settings and see if your contacts are turned on there. If you are using iCloud, then your contacts are not in your backup, they are already in iCloud.

Jan 19, 2018 7:02 PM in response to adembadem

I am having the same problem, and I have checked and checked my iCloud contacts and remerged them and it has made no difference. I also checked on the iCloud website and none of the contacts were on there either. It's odd, because some contacts that use messages come up, but their name isn't displayed on my messages side on my phone. I assume they use their number as the primary way of identifying them. This is a very frustrating problem to have as I can't locate peoples numbers unless I remember a word I used in a message to them previously and methodically go through each message to see if it's the correct number.

Jan 23, 2018 8:48 AM in response to jlyall

Same problem here. iPhone 6S running 11.2.2.

I can see the contacts from one account (oddly, microsoft) but not the iCloud and Google ones.

If I had called people recently it will show up in the call history as if the contact is there but if I look for the same person in contacts itself they just don't show up.

Very, very annoying and disappointing. Add this to the phone becoming slower and slower because of the recent much-talked-about updates and you have me joining a ton of other people considering leaving Apple for good.

Jan 23, 2018 8:58 AM in response to fabianz

If you have contacts in multiple accounts, you need to ensure that you have all of those accounts turned on to sync, and also to make sure that you have the Contacts app set to display all contact groups. You might also wish to consider not using different accounts to handle the contacts and just create separate groups in the single account to handle the differences.

After the new ios update all contacts lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.