Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access certain folders in time capsule

I can see everything fine with my macbook, but when I use either of my other PCs, the some folders are "empty"

Other folders work perfect on my windows machines and my macbook. I'm trying to access files for my PC that I placed on the time capsule.

null-OTHER, Windows 10, time capsule 2tb

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 11:12 AM

Permissions are a mystery to most windows users.. it is there but well hidden.

Ownership of a folder and files in the folder is difficult to control .. even Apple are trying to hide how permissions affect things.

Firstly if you want a folder to be shared with windows.. create it in windows. Then when you copy the files to the folder from the Mac it should inherit the permissions from the folder and windows can read it..

But if that doesn't work there is a dirty trick..

I presume you have installed airport utility in your windows machine. (I am using the Mac version so slightly different font but matches pretty well.. functionality exactly the same).

Go to Disks/File Sharing.

User uploaded file

Turn on Guest access to Read and Write if you want to do both.

User uploaded file

When you do this.. all permissions on the TC will change for all users.. windows or Mac.. so everyone has access.

So don't do it if you want to maintain security.. but for most people sharing the TC in a local network it is easiest way by far to get things working.

I have checked this works on latest version TC even though windows version is below spec to configure it.. and got another user here to double check with High Sierra.. and this indeed allows files that even High Sierra cannot access to work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2018 11:12 AM in response to anthonyEdmonton

Permissions are a mystery to most windows users.. it is there but well hidden.

Ownership of a folder and files in the folder is difficult to control .. even Apple are trying to hide how permissions affect things.

Firstly if you want a folder to be shared with windows.. create it in windows. Then when you copy the files to the folder from the Mac it should inherit the permissions from the folder and windows can read it..

But if that doesn't work there is a dirty trick..

I presume you have installed airport utility in your windows machine. (I am using the Mac version so slightly different font but matches pretty well.. functionality exactly the same).

Go to Disks/File Sharing.

User uploaded file

Turn on Guest access to Read and Write if you want to do both.

User uploaded file

When you do this.. all permissions on the TC will change for all users.. windows or Mac.. so everyone has access.

So don't do it if you want to maintain security.. but for most people sharing the TC in a local network it is easiest way by far to get things working.

I have checked this works on latest version TC even though windows version is below spec to configure it.. and got another user here to double check with High Sierra.. and this indeed allows files that even High Sierra cannot access to work.

Jan 10, 2018 11:44 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you so much for your detailed help.

I actually decided to go with your 1st solution. (Creating a new folder and moving the files over)

Funny thing is, the folders that I had created previously were on a windows computer. (Same machine, different OS) That's why I knew it was a permission issue.

I appreciate your help on the 2nd scenario too. I'll definitely do that if I continue having issues.

Can't access certain folders in time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.