Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pixels on clips after importing to FCP from Canon XA10

I have been using FCP for years with my Canon XA10 video camera without problems. I have however now faced a very strange issue. After importing clips from camera to FCP, some of the clips have some pixels/interference on picture which last for a second or so.

I thought my camera was broken and sent it to Canon. They reported that the camera has no problems. They believe it is due to different codec. The camera uses AVCHD whereas Apple uses different and its own codec which it needs to transcode.

I have also tested this myself and this error occurs also in iMovie and with a different Apple computer. So this issue is not computer specific or only FCP specific. And as said, I have used FCP and same camera for years with iMac without any problems.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help/comments!User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 11:04 AM

16 replies

Jan 10, 2018 12:34 PM in response to ramierik96

I had this happen to my Canon footage a few years ago. We had a Drobo 5D with SSD acceleration and the SSD was bad, slightly corrupting any data passed through it. Footage would appear fine in playback on the camera but these glitches would appear once it was ingested into Final Cut.

User uploaded file

Took awhile to figure this out, I would suggest checking your drives. Trying dumping your footage to a different drive and see if you get the same results.

Jan 12, 2018 6:49 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I got my camera back and have run a few tests. This issue seems to be very much FCP 10.4. related. I have tested this with my iMac (High Sierra) and MacBook Air (Sierra). This is the result:

MacBook Air (Sierra) FCP 10.4. a clip has pixels/errors (AVCHD), QuickTime player, no errors!

iMac (High Sierra) FCP 10.4. a clip has several pixels/errors (AVCHD), QuickTime player, no errors!

Interesting indeed!

Pixels on clips after importing to FCP from Canon XA10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.