Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.2 supplemental update failed

Hi, I'm trying to install Supplemental update 10.13.2. I can see the update in "Update" section in Mac App Store, i click on "Update", my Mac downloads and install the update. At reboot, after installation, my Mac seems not updated: I can still see the update, Safari is still 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.3). I tried 3 times, and I obtained always the same result: mac didn't update and asked me to update, as I didn't do anything.

Does anybody have same issue?

Thanks

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 10:21 AM

Finally got annoyed enough to contact Apple support. The problem is not with the update it is with the current OS.

The solution is to overlay your current OS with a full replacement. This will not impact any of your setting etc so not a big deal. Simply do a Command+ Option+ R on reboot and re-install latest OS. Fixed me right up. Thanks Apple.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2018 10:21 AM in response to sf_gil

Finally got annoyed enough to contact Apple support. The problem is not with the update it is with the current OS.

The solution is to overlay your current OS with a full replacement. This will not impact any of your setting etc so not a big deal. Simply do a Command+ Option+ R on reboot and re-install latest OS. Fixed me right up. Thanks Apple.

Jan 22, 2018 3:12 AM in response to Myrddid

Correct, I didn't loose anything. That said if you read up on an OS re-install there are three choices. You can not do an install of the version that came with your mac. That is the Command -R choice. Instead you have to do the Option-Command-R version to re-install the latest version. Evidently my mac came with Yosemite and that is not compatible with Sierra. Notes on that I found here: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. One issue I have had and still have is I keep loosing my blue tooth mouse on boot up. Apple knows they have a problem with that one and they do not have a fix. I tried 10.13.3 Beta 6 and it still is a problem.

Jan 23, 2018 2:48 PM in response to Myrddid

I don't know if it will fix "everything" but you should update anyway since it addresses "some things". There shouldn't be a need to reinstall macOS, but that remains an option to consider.

Back up your Mac prior to making any changes to its file system. To learn how to use Time Machine please read How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support.

Jan 10, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Nothing changed: it rebooted, installed the update, but System and Safari versions are still the same, and Mac App Store asks me to install the update.

I forgot this: I got the message "Unable to install update automatically", I clicked on "Details", and Mac App Store told me "Any updates are not been installed automatically, click on Restart to complete the updates", but when I click on "Restart" (or "Reboot"?) the download starts again.

It seems a loop to me, but what can I do to solve this?

Jan 10, 2018 11:36 PM in response to Myrddid

Firstly do you have enough free disk space, you must try and keep at least 10-15GBs free space so the mac can function properly.

Run Disk Utility First Aid to check for any errors.

Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Updates and remove any .pkg files.

Go to System Preference>Users & Groups>Login Items and remove any apps that are set to start when the mac is booted up. Highlight them and then click on the minus button. You can always add them back later.

Restart the mac.

Try running the standalone download again.

Jan 11, 2018 10:36 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Well, I went to Updates folder, but I have not .pkg files in there: there is a folder named 091-58876 with 2 .pkg files in it, but in Updates I have only 3 .plist files. Do I have to remove anything?

My hard disk has more than 200GB free, and no errors. Waiting for your answer, I'm going to remove the apps that start after mac boot.

Jan 19, 2018 9:32 AM in response to Myrddid

I tried to install this update on an older iMac (iMac13,2 / iMac 27" late 2012 / 3.40 GHz) running Mac OS 10.13.2 and it failed. It would reach the "installing update screen" but it would not progress beyond that point. As I was unable to cancel the installation, I had to re-install the operating system. This system uses a legacy Ivy Bridge CPU. Could the Intel microcode update be faulty and could it be the cause of this behavior?

Jan 22, 2018 6:52 AM in response to SkySkiFlipper

Update: I reinstalled the latest version of the OS using Option-Command-R and was able to apply the supplemental security update to my iMac (27", late 2012, iMac13,2). It took quite a while for it to apply the update. The machine does seem noticeably slower after the update. For example, when browsing with Chrome using multiple tabs, activity in one tab noticeably impacts the speed of activity in another tab. Waking from sleep mode is also a bit wonky.

10.13.2 supplemental update failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.