Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update to 11.2.2 (Iphone 6s Plus)

I use iphone 6s PLus. The current IOS version is 11.2. Today I found that my phone prompts me to update to 11.2.2, and says Apple strongly suggests that all uers must do it.

But I am not sure if it will slow down my phone. Previous experiences have told me that sometimes an update slows down my phone.

Could anyone help?

thank you.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), CPU 2.3GH

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 10:37 PM

22 replies

Jan 11, 2018 6:21 AM in response to Bluebird73

11.2.2 is a Safari fix for the Spectec CPU chip flaw which has been in the news.

If your iPhone is slowing down, you should have the battery checked. If it is below 80% of original capacity, it is nearing end-of-life. To prevent sudden iPhone shutdown because the battery cannot provide sufficient peak power, iOS will throttle the CPU so the battery will last longer between charges and not suddenly shutdown. Also using the iPhone is very cold weather (as in the iPhone is physically very cold) affects battery performance, and will also cause iOS to throttle the CPU, to prevent battery triggered sudden shutdown.

Apple has a $29 (US Price) battery replacement program going on now for iPhone batteries that are below the 80% original capacity.

Jan 12, 2018 1:02 PM in response to Bluebird73

I have had a slew of problems with my iPhone since I upgraded to 11.2.2 I see others have also complained of the same problems - can't log in to my existing networks; Apple's apps don't launch, or crash when they do; iTunes won't launch properly, and crashes when it does; third party apps not functioning as before, or no longer compatible; slow slow slow performance (relatively new phone, so not a battery issue ....and I'm in Miami so it's not cold either). I've never had problems like this in the 25 years I've been an Apple customer. I don't understand the apparent lack of testing / quality control in the rush to release this update. Anyone have a clue when the next release is coming? This release is so buggy it's pretty scary, actually.....

Jan 12, 2018 2:00 PM in response to mandycfromcolumbusga

So how do you check if you are at 80% of original battery function ? It doesn’t seem to be in settings. Thanks

You can use CoconutBattery on your Mac and when you plug your iPhone into your Mac via a USB/Lightning cable, CoconutBattery will tell you the health of your iPhone battery.

<https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery>

iMazing Mini can do the same thing.

<https://imazing.com/mini>

You can make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple store, and they will check your battery.

There may be other methods I am not familiar with.

Jan 12, 2018 2:03 PM in response to mandycfromcolumbusga

I have used an app called coconutBattery. On my 6s Plus it tells me my battery is at 82.29% of design capacity. They have a (donation version) and a paid more features version. I have it installed on my Mac. Here is link if you want to check it out. For OS X 10.11 - macOS 10.13 | reads devices with iOS 6 - iOS 11

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/#idDownload

Jan 14, 2018 7:51 PM in response to Bluebird73

Somehow I cannot create a new post with the following content:

My device is iphone 6s Plus, IOS version 11.2. I am so happy that I did not hit UPGRADE button when 11.2.2 is out. Many people complain that their phones are slowing down after that upgrade. I don't care about the two flaws that are critical and that Apple strongly suggests we all upgrade.

However, I DO care that the 'upgrade prompt' stays on my iphone, and keeps reminding me to upgrade. This is annoying! the red-circled digit 1 on my settings is annoying. I want to remove it.

After surfing through the internet, I get no clue how. I called Apple Tech support and they don't have an answer. I am asking our fellow users of iphone, is there a way to permanent shut down that upgrade prompt? I want to avoid any upgrade from today on. I will stay with 11.2 for good.

Thank you so very much

Jan 22, 2018 5:29 PM in response to Jacobsdsj

Thanks for the follow-up. I've done more in-depth exploration into the issue and I can confirm with you and anyone else that Apple has not and will NOT allow us to turn off that upgrade icon. It stays with our iphone forever. But there is one thing to stop the system from secretly upgrading (which I believe but some people don't).

If your phone asks some day that the upgrade will happen tonight and ask your approval, never hit YES; However, if you inadvertently hit it or do not know what's going on, and the phone ends up downloading the upgrade file by itself and asks you again that that upgrade will happen in xxx hours, now you feel screwed and it is the end of the world. But, there is a way to remove that annoying 'Your system update is ready." Here is how:

Get to Settings-General-iphone storage, look for "sysem update" (not sure of the exact wording but you know what I mean), it should be a file of around 1 gigabyte. Remove it immediately.

Then Apple won't nag you about the upgrade by a prompt dialog. But you will see see the red circled digit 1 icon.

That's how I get rid of the upgrade prompt.

Hope this helps.

Should I update to 11.2.2 (Iphone 6s Plus)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.