Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Express no longer available?

Since I have updated my Mac to high Sierra my paid version of Logic Express no longer works. It asks to update and then the update is Logic Pro X. Has logic express been discontinued? To buy Logic Pro This is an additional £199, I have already purchased logic express for £100, am I intitled to a discount of Logic Pro X as this is the only version available now, and I am now currently without audio software.

null-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Logic Express / Logic Pro X

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2018 1:31 AM

I understand that, but this is the problem they don't care about old users of their products, as soon as something is over 6 years old it is classed as "Vintage" and they say parts are no longer available for these models. Basically saying their products won't last beyond 6 years, and that if anyone does manage to use their computer and keep it in good condition past that point they have no care, attention or procedures for any of these old machines, and are in fact penalised for it. That for me is what is crazy, their is no support for older models and customers, they just say buy the newer model or revert back to and older operating system. Again this is mad as if you look after these loyal customers, once those machines eventually do fail they will re buy, but not if help and support isn't given to you after a period of years, because you know after 6 years you will be forgotten about. I think they need to think more about current customers than just about the new ones, specially now as they have upped the prices on everything from being expensive to now being extremely expensive.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2018 1:31 AM in response to octopi

I understand that, but this is the problem they don't care about old users of their products, as soon as something is over 6 years old it is classed as "Vintage" and they say parts are no longer available for these models. Basically saying their products won't last beyond 6 years, and that if anyone does manage to use their computer and keep it in good condition past that point they have no care, attention or procedures for any of these old machines, and are in fact penalised for it. That for me is what is crazy, their is no support for older models and customers, they just say buy the newer model or revert back to and older operating system. Again this is mad as if you look after these loyal customers, once those machines eventually do fail they will re buy, but not if help and support isn't given to you after a period of years, because you know after 6 years you will be forgotten about. I think they need to think more about current customers than just about the new ones, specially now as they have upped the prices on everything from being expensive to now being extremely expensive.

Jan 11, 2018 12:10 PM in response to Pancenter

I spoke to Apple and they refused to offer me anything apart from saying I could re install a previous operating system and then be able to use Logic Express, or I have to buy Logic Pro for £200. I am extremely disappointed with apple as a company and think their customer service is among the worst I have ever encountered. They seem to totally disregard loyal customers, and have lost my faith in apple as a company, I will be looking elsewhere for future computers, phones and technology. I will also be spreading this information among all of my friends, colleagues and associates, who currently use the company.

Jan 11, 2018 2:44 PM in response to ThomMills

I understand your frustration but this certainly wasn't a decision they made. You're giving far too much credit there. No one at Apple has even thought about Logic Express since the last incremental update prior to it's discontinuation in 2011.

It's just been luck that it's worked up until now (as with Logic 9) and something in the code base of the new OS has broken Express functionality. This happens with Logic X too, they update the OS codebase and something breaks so they issue an incremental update purely because X is the current shipping version.

Not a single thought has crossed their minds concerning Logic 9 or Express for years.

Personally, my main rig is Logic 9.1.8 running fantastically on an older 8 core Mac Pro. I have gotten Logic 9.1.8 working on colleagues computers in OS's right up to 10.12.x and with each increment it got flakier and flakier with the OS overhead allowing less and less tracks in a project.

It's sad, it's frustrating but it's also a fact and a losing battle.

Jan 12, 2018 9:32 AM in response to BenB

I sure am. I always stay at least 2 versions of the OS behind (I'm only on El Cap because it is the minimum required for LP X 10.3.3 - I would have preferred to still be using Snow Leopard) and except perhaps for underwear, many of my clothes are 5 to 10 years old, coats and "occasionwear" even older. But, I do not care about fashion at all. Clothes are ditched if they're worn out, not if they are "out of style". Anyhoo, it is not really a valid comparison. Software doesn't wear.

Having said all that, it has been written on more than one forum that it is always prudent to check if your vital software is compatible with the OS the OP has apparently blindly upgraded to.

Logic Express no longer available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.