Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install 10.13.2 update

In app store I have macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental Update available for installation, but after downloading, restarting and "installing" I get message "Some updates cannot be installed automatically". After that App Store shows that there is no available updates until I refresh page and after that the same story starts from the beginning (macOS update, downloading, restarting, "installing" etc.). In About This Mac it shows me that I already have 10.13.2 so I guess that this update is just about security and does not change the os number... How can I install it or is my mac ok and there is some bug with already updated systems?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 1:53 AM

13 replies

Jan 13, 2018 8:49 PM in response to rennytoo

ok, so I spoke too soon! After the combo update, I saw the 10.13.2 Supplemental update and thought it was the same,, but I read the notes and it was about a Safari update so I checked my version and saw that Safari wasn't updated... so I tried again and rebooted/installed and it worked. So happy because it must have rebooted at least 6 times without being successful before I used the combo update.

User uploaded file

Now App Store says no more updates. I'll update this tomorrow if the problem comes back.

Jan 11, 2018 10:17 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Neither installing in Safe mode or through another administrator account didn't solve the problem.

About functionality there was a problem with HDD. Near the 3 weeks ago it just crashed without any visible reason and neither my mac or my friend's pс couldn't see it. Friend gave me one of his old HDDs for a while until I buy a new one, I used Time Machine on it and about the week this HDD worked well. After a time this one also crushed but in another way: my mac saw it but couldn't start (got message "Your mac restarted because of a problem..." in several languages and infinite restarts) and couldn't even restore from Time Machine. So I decided to buy SSD (anyway wanted to switch from HDD) and to see if everything will be OK or not. I restored the system from Time Machine and there was no problem until this one with system update

Jan 13, 2018 7:11 PM in response to vorant94

vorant94 wrote:

I got samsung evo 850 250gb. I was told (of cause not by seller) that this model is one of the best and has literally no bad reviews

There are many reports of problems with the Samsung "EVO" series on this site, particularly with High Sierra, presumably due to the firmware update that accompanies it. Apple does not develop firmware for devices they don't incorporate in the Macs they build.

It may work with Windows PCs; I wouldn't know. They just don't have a good reputation among Mac users.

Jan 13, 2018 8:23 PM in response to vorant94

I'm having the same problem and my MacBook Pro is less than a year old with all the same hardware it was built with originally. About this Mac says I have 10.13.2, but App Store says there's an update, 10.13.2, that I need to install...

Every time it reboots, it says it has to finish installing. I just tried to install the combo updater and it didn't fix it 😟

I'm going to all AppleCare tomorrow. I'm really disappointed with Apple - the iOS update has made my Note app freeze up, almost every time I open it, too...

Jan 15, 2018 4:42 AM in response to vorant94

Best is rarely cheapest and the converse is generally applicable... especially with SSDs.

Use caution when conducting a web search, because 99% of "review" or "best product" sites are thinly veiled (or not so thinly veiled) interest-based targeted advertisements funded by the products they sell.

When researching them, be sure there is a way to update their firmware outside of Apple's occasionally required firmware updates. Again bear in mind Apple only develops firmware for the devices they incorporate in the products they sell, and that Apple does not support Macs incorporating anyone else's SSD. If you purchase a SSD from a manufacturer that only provides a Windows-based firmware update program, and you don't have a Windows PC, it may be difficult for you to update it.

For what it's worth the only SSDs I have used and can recommend are OWC / MacSales line of "Mercury Extreme Pro 6G" models to be specific. The oldest of them are now well beyond their five year warranty yet I have yet to have any of them fail, become slow, or fail to upgrade. Reports of failures are nearly unheard of.

You usually get what you pay for. All SSDs work well when they're new, otherwise they wouldn't get any good reviews at all. Their typical failure mode will be the sudden onset of poor performance, or failure to boot. Samsung's are definitely the cheapest. Reports of failures are common on this site and others.

Besides OWC's, Crucial is another respected manufacturer. Reports of failures are also nearly unheard of. I just don't happen to have any of them. There are other, less popular models that also seem to work well—judging by the apparent lack of problem reports.

Can't Install 10.13.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.