Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo printing borderless problem

I have a Epson 1500w and usually print out photos using ‘Photos’ on my MacBook. In the last week the image printed is much smaller than the settings state on ‘photos’.

I reinstalled drivers and all the other usual obvious fixes; I have the latest OS etc. Spoke to Epson, they said it was an Apple software problem. Spoke to Apple for an hour, they repeated what I had already tried and the problem persists.

Interestingly, printing from the old iPhoto works fine - the image prints the correct size and is borderless. Also printing using photoshop on another computer is fine.

Any ideas please? Or do I just have to wait until the next update?? Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 5:10 AM

11 replies

Jan 19, 2018 1:06 AM in response to dacadoyle

I too have an Epson 1430 and have encountered this image size problem when printing borderless. I seem to have circumvented it by using the print dialogue in Preview to create a preset for the printer with borderless settings for the desired page size in portrait mode (any old image will do in Preview, and don't do landscape - that will get Photos very confused, just let it auto-rotate). I created one preset for A4 and one for A3; I also set the colour matching and paper settings in the preset, but I'm not sure that was necessary. I hesitate to offer detailed steps for doing this, as it took me a long time to figure it out and I didn't keep notes, so might miss something - best to experiment.

When I want to print from Photos, I choose the relevant printer, page size and paper as normal in the Photos print window, then press 'print'; then I choose the relevant preset from the drop-down and press 'print' there too. While I was figuring this out, I also checked the settings in the 'Printer Features' part of the drop-down, but it doesn't seem to matter. This is what works for me - I hope it is helpful for you too.

Of course you can also export the image and print from Preview, or Aperture, or Luminar - they all work fine for me.

Edit: I should add that I don't claim this as my idea - I just adapted it - but I don't now recall where I came from. Note to self: keep notes!

(My first post! Glad to be able to offer something, this forum has been helpful to me, thanks!)

Jan 19, 2018 1:29 PM in response to GrizzledDevon

I'm so disappointed that it didn't work for you! I have just performed an experiment on a second Mac that never had the preset set up before, and kept notes of what I did. To begin, I plugged my Epson 1430 directly into the second Mac by USB.

1. I first proved that it would print too small - in Photos I selected a simple test image to print with a black outline to avoid wasting ink, set 'A4 (Sheet Feeder - Borderless)', 'Photo on Epson Glossy' and 'Fit' in the Photos print window, then clicked on 'Print. In the drop-down, I left everything to default. It printed slightly larger than 6x4in, showing that the Photos bug is in play.

2. Next, I created a new preset. I started Preview with a similar image; in the print drop-down I set the paper size to 'A4 (Sheet Feeder - Borderless)', and in the 'Print Settings' part chose Print Quality 'Photo' and Expansion 'Min'. Note that this has the same settings as in Aperture and other apps use - unlike the drop-down in Photos. Then I saved the preset using the Presets list near the top, and did a test print.

3. Finally, I went back to Photos, and proceeded as before except that in the drop-down, I chose the preset I just created. It printed correctly. Then I repeated the print without the preset - it printed too small; then I repeated with the preset - it printed correctly. To avoid wasting ink, I cancelled each print once enough had appeared to show the difference, but I don't think that matters.

Maybe there is something different between a 1430 and a 1500. An alternative workaround to speed things up a bit compared to exporting might be to choose 'Open in Preview' from the PDF selections at the bottom left of printing drop-down, and then print it from there. You might even be able to automate that.

I hope this helps!

Jan 19, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Aearenda

Hi there, thanks for the advice, I tried what you have described and still cannot print borderless from the photos app. For example when I want to print a 6x4in borderless image, it prints about 3x2in in size. When I try A4 and other sizes they come out slightly bigger, but still not what the settings in preview etc say. Very frustrating!

It must be a problem with the photos app as other programs work ok (we have photoshop on another computer).

Thanks again.

Feb 1, 2018 7:14 AM in response to GrizzledDevon

Yes, I agree. The problem appears to be in Photos itself. The printing section in Photos is needlessly involved and at times confusing. But worst of all, it does not give acceptable results. I have sent my request for a fix directly to Apple, but I am not holding my breath. In the meantime, I am switching back to my "unsupported" Aperture, because IT WORKS.

Feb 2, 2018 7:37 AM in response to dacadoyle

I have used Aperture for a long time and really like it. I was hoping to make the transition to Photos when Apple stopped supporting Aperture, but I have found the shortcomings of Photos to be overwhelming, especially as regards printing and editing photos - as well as organizing. So, I have dusted off my copy of Aperture and am now using it again. I only wish Apple would smarten up regarding what I consider to be Photos shortcomings.

Feb 2, 2018 1:00 PM in response to Willy W.

I too used Aperture for a long time. I have now been using Photos consistently for 4 months, and this is my third attempt to change over - twice before, I went back to Aperture. I gave up on the first attempt because of the unreliability of referenced images. Then I split my Aperture library into yearly Photos libraries that were consolidated but still local, with PowerPhotos as the unifying view. This was too awkward. Then I waited a while, and tried again with the High Sierra version of Photos, and have found that in spite of its ongoing instability and shortcomings (the lack of soft-proofing or the ability to view two images at once, for example), it is faster than Aperture, and the new keyword filtering feature on the browser view allowed me to work more effectively. Now I'm hooked on iCloud Photo Library, since I can work on the same images on more than one Mac (I have a laptop and an iMac).

I'm wondering whether the promised asset manager in Luminar will be any better - photography is a serious hobby for me, so Adobe CC is overkill. I don't see any other low-cost alternatives.

photo printing borderless problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.