You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant does not find other computer

I am attempting to transfer photo albums from an iMac to a MacBook Air. I have the Migration Assistant program running on both systems and they are both side by side on my desk connected to my WiFi network. Although the MacBook Air 'sees' the iMac. The iMac does not 'see' the MacBook. I've restarted both systems several times and made sure they are both connected to the network. Any suggestions would be welcome.

iMac, ipad, iphone

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 1:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 3:22 PM

Make sure that you:

Also:

• If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, just make sure that they're near each other and have Wi-Fi turned on. If either is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, connect them to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
  • Or connect them using target disk mode and the appropriate cable or adapter. Then start up your old computer in target disk mode.
  • Or connect your new Mac to a Time Machine backup of your old Mac.

Check out this apple support page for more information:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2018 3:22 PM in response to shermanss

Make sure that you:

Also:

• If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, just make sure that they're near each other and have Wi-Fi turned on. If either is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, connect them to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
  • Or connect them using target disk mode and the appropriate cable or adapter. Then start up your old computer in target disk mode.
  • Or connect your new Mac to a Time Machine backup of your old Mac.

Check out this apple support page for more information:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

migration assistant does not find other computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.