Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant log into Google Drive File Stream

The Allow button in System Preferences/Security & Privacy does not work when trying to sign into Google Drive File Stream?

User uploaded file

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 11, 2018 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 8:59 AM

Solved it! It was a combination of many solutions presented above, but I just had to put them in the right order:

I deleted the Google Drive File Stream app, emptied the trash

I reinstalled the app (still gave an error when trying to log in)

I went to the Finder folder Library --> Application Support --> Google.

I renamed the folder DriveFS to DriveFS.old

I was now able to log into the app, but it still gave an error accessing the files:

I then went to GO --> Utilities --> Terminal in order to overwrite the Gatekeeper

I entered: sudo spctl --master-disable

Then I entered my password (it’s not visible that you enter something, but the key strokes are noted)

After this I went to system preferences --> Security & Privacy

Under ‘Allow apps downloaded from’ the option ‘Anywhere’ was now visible and automatically enabled

Also, it now showed the text ‘System software from developer “Google, Inc.” was blocked from loading’. --> click 'Allow'

Then when reopening the app, it would start downloading all my files.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 8:59 AM in response to KT1133

Solved it! It was a combination of many solutions presented above, but I just had to put them in the right order:

I deleted the Google Drive File Stream app, emptied the trash

I reinstalled the app (still gave an error when trying to log in)

I went to the Finder folder Library --> Application Support --> Google.

I renamed the folder DriveFS to DriveFS.old

I was now able to log into the app, but it still gave an error accessing the files:

I then went to GO --> Utilities --> Terminal in order to overwrite the Gatekeeper

I entered: sudo spctl --master-disable

Then I entered my password (it’s not visible that you enter something, but the key strokes are noted)

After this I went to system preferences --> Security & Privacy

Under ‘Allow apps downloaded from’ the option ‘Anywhere’ was now visible and automatically enabled

Also, it now showed the text ‘System software from developer “Google, Inc.” was blocked from loading’. --> click 'Allow'

Then when reopening the app, it would start downloading all my files.

Feb 14, 2018 1:56 PM in response to brianfrommissoula

Not sure how to address the concern, in so much as google accounts services

have been leaving much to be desired when they leave Mac OS X users behind.

To say nothing about later macOS versions.

You may have to look into Apple's 'secure system integrity' to see if that can

be a reason why you cannot update or get Google Drive access. IF the issue

isn't the fact Yosemite 10.10.5 is a few upgrades behind most recent macOS.

Could be there may be a security issue that stops your access there now.

You could look into Google help, some of the earlier links get close. Yosemite

is an older nearly unsupported system now, El Capitan sees security updates

and Safari updates (at least one each this year).

My newest Mac shipped with Mavericks 10.9.0 a little more than three years ago.

{As an official Clearance model from online Apple Store; it was 'old-stock new'

and had full warranty, etc. And I waited awhile to upgrade to newer OS. Then I

downloaded El Capitan 10.11.16 the day before Sierra came out. El Cap then

was pulled from App Store (returned a few days later, though) but I didn't install.}

Nearly a year after downloading El Capitan, I installed it last Oct ~ & it get updates.

You could upgrade to El Capitan if you use the special link in Support article for it.

‱ How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

{And I partitioned the 1-TB HDD where Mavericks lives, to install El Cap there;

leaving a second internal 1-TB HDD with two new partitions, without content.}

While I don't expect Google to respect your effort, if you had saved the Sierra installer

because they don't appear to need Mac users all that much. And perhaps they've seen

to it their product may not work with old 'nearer-to-obsolete' Yosemite? At least Firefox

or other browsers may still work in 10.10.5. Quantum v 58.x works in Mavericks 10.9.5.

The original as-shipped OS X is the server edition; so newer OS gets newest updates.

You may need to ask Google Help, or open a trouble ticket if your situation is unique.

Their newest versions of software aren't much use to older 'unsupported' devices.

Sorry to not be of help in this matter.

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Jan 13, 2018 12:57 PM in response to dÄniel

There may be some answers in Google's product help page, since these items are

solely designed by Google and may or may not see any useful support by accident

or otherwise, by Apple.

Some ideas on your situation appeared after looking around online; most

also made an appearance in the search results link below these:

Blocked - Google Drive File Stream on macOS High Sierra on ...

Google Product Forums > G Suite Help Forum > Categories: G Suite Admin Sync Tools:
Blocked - Google Drive File Stream on macOS High Sierra on macOS 10.13 ...

Google Drive File Stream encountered a problem and has ...

To use Drive File Stream on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra): Open Drive File Stream.

At the top left, go to System Preferences Security...

Google Drive won't work on macOS High Sierra

Google Drive won't work on macOS High Sierra ... Since macOS High Sierra (10.13) ...
Google Drive File Stream...

Deploy Drive File Stream - Google Support

Deploy Drive File Stream to your organization for a ... For High Sierra (10.13), ...

Use Drive File Stream to access all your Google Drive files from your computer ...

User uploaded filehttps://support.google.com/a/answer/7491144?hl=en

A few curious and perhaps helpful ideas on this topic appear in a search, also appear here; read:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+access+Google+Drive+File+Stream+from+macOS+

HighSierra+10.13&t=ffsb&ia=web

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 3, 2018 6:54 PM in response to dÄniel

I'm having the same problem with High Sierra. It has to be an OSX problem, as the Security & Privacy settings are just blocking a request for access which must generally work (obviously Google has tested and verified it otherwise they wouldn't be explicitly advising to use the Allow setting in Preferences).

There must be some rare combination of circumstances that is preventing the Allow button from operating in the cases (25 of them and counting) reported here.

Anyone have any suggestions for escalating the issue?

Mar 9, 2018 7:16 AM in response to Steve_Pretzel

I am also having this problem. If you click the link to supplied on the popup after the sync failure, it takes you to "System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy. Clicking to allow "Google software update" on that page doesn't fix the problem. You have to go to the General tab in Security & Privacy and click "Allow" next to "System software from developer "Google, Inc." was blocked from loading". The Google Drive File Stream app doesn't take you to General. That is confusing and their popup needs to be corrected.

Mar 14, 2018 6:46 AM in response to curtvaughan2

Hi,

I followed your steps, but when I'm in the General tab of Security & Privace, I don't see the option to click "Allow" next to "System software from developer "Google, Inc." was blocked from loading".

My apologies in advance because I'm translating, but what I see is:

An option to change my log in password

An option to change the amount of minutes before screenlock

An option to show a message when the screen is locked

An option to automatically switch off logging in

The I can allow either programs that are from

- The App store

- The App Store & trusted developers

Then it shows a button in the bottom right for 'advanced options', which only gives you the options to log out after XX minutes or the option to apply a password when changing system preferences.

Am I in the wrong place here?

I'm really lost. I did the exact same installation on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro works fine but the iMac kept reporting an error. I deleted and reinstalled the app, but now I cannot even log in on Google Drive File Stream, which basically means I cannot access any of my files.

Cant log into Google Drive File Stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.