Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 10.4 crashing on media import

Hi FCP 10.4 is crashing when I try to import media from the usual library and also one of my projects crashes when I try to launch it.

This was all fine prior to 10.4

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on Jan 12, 2018 2:53 AM

13 replies

Jan 15, 2018 2:40 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for this - and to help others...

So I've disabled anti virus (AVG) and it crashed again in the same way (on import to the timeline of a small .psd to a 4 layered timeline)

Then set up another user and imported some files and exactly the same thing happened again.

Never had this issue under FCP 10.3. Seen on another thread that turning off file sharing can help but this isn't turned on.

On a thread on fcp.co it suggests it could be a conflict between 10.4 and Sierra, so it looks like High Sierra is my way out. Will upgrade and then post back.

Jan 15, 2018 3:49 AM in response to Steve Hayes1

Instead of doing a direct upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra take the opportunity to get yourself a clean system and avoid likely problems.

Do a full backup of your system (which you should do anyway!).

Do a clean install of High Sierra and then only migrate the user accounts (do NOT migrate applications and settings, which effectively would undo the benefits of the clean install).

Then install the applications you really use. Do NOT install any antivirus or “cleaners” of any sort.

Jan 22, 2018 6:22 AM in response to Maxnell

I've done everything bar upgrading to High Sierra. I also rolled back to 10.3.4 and had no problems importing as I had before. Bit stuffed at the moment as obviously can't use newer libraries in older versions of FCP so will have to go back to 10.4. I do think it's a bug in 10.4, as evidenced by the experiences of MartBrooks and Maxnell (thanks for posting). Are you both on Sierra or High Sierra as fcp.co mentioned about a conflict between Sierra and 10.4. I will upgrade to HS on my laptop first and check.

FCP 10.4 crashing on media import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.