Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X faulty GPS

2 issues I’ve been having with this phone I literally just set up.

1) GPS is not working properly, can’t keep a lock on my position. I’ve tried all the resets, had Apple verify my hardware is fine, etc. I’ve seen other people also have this issue and was wondering if anyone has had any luck resolving it.

2) There is a slight, but very annoying, buzz or crackling sound coming from the front speaker when the volume is on high or full. Seems to be coming from low quality videos and speaker phone when on phone calls. Any luck with this one? Again, contacted Apple who checked my hardware and said that it was fine. A supervisor also told me they were aware of the issue at Apple and were working on it, but another supervisor told me that they were not aware of the issue. Sooooo, here I am, lol

Posted on Jan 12, 2018 4:24 PM

14 replies

Jan 27, 2018 4:53 AM in response to niki_yanakiev

From the iPhone User Guide:

Location Services lets location-based apps such as Reminders, Maps, Camera, and Wallet gather and use data indicating your location. Your approximate location is determined using available information from cellular network data, local Wi-Fi networks (if you have Wi-Fi turned on), and GPS (if available). The location data collected by Apple isn’t collected in a form that personally identifies you. When an app is using Location Services, User uploaded file appears in the status bar.

Jan 12, 2018 5:46 PM in response to Philgentry

Philgentry wrote:

...no WiFi on the road

That is part, possibly all, of the cause of your problem. Location services needs both WiFi and Bluetooth to be on to add to the information provided by GPS. There are others on the forum that can explain this better than I can but, essentially, detection of WiFi and Bluetooth transmitters is needed to enhance the information provided by GPS.

Jan 27, 2018 3:22 AM in response to Philly_Phan

This is incorrect. My iPad Pro and work iPhone 6s have no issues with GPS with no wifi/bluetooth enabled. I am on my fourth consecutive iPhone X that has severe issues with tracking. I am solely referring to using this functionality on foot.

The Apple store employee, who helped me out in getting my last phone exchanged was speechless when the new one exhibited the same problem.

Feb 17, 2018 9:01 AM in response to Philly_Phan

My gps issues started with my iPhone 6 that I was completely fine and happy with... the 7, 8, and x were out and I had no intentions of upgrading just for the fact I finally had a reasonable cell phone bill because my phone had been paid off on my contract and somehow I managed to not break it after 2 years... but my work sends me into some areas I don’t know well and gps is my only savior... so I went through being late for service calls, a customer leaving on me because I was over an hour late, getting teemed by my boss, loosing $ on multiple occasions because I’m sitting on the side of the road resetting privacy/location....network settings..., downloading different gps apps.. this is not acceptable at this point in time.. I could see if it was 10 years ago and we were all running OG iPhones or something but this is ridiculous...

I decided I had to upgrade to an 8 or an x... I went with the x figuring I may as well go with the phone the most recent iOS was developed for, as well as it being several moths after the x coming out and hearing only good things... but low and behold I’ve been late for jobs/meetings more than a half dozen times because of this, basically every time I’ve actually NEEDED gps to work... my girlfriend has an 8 and has zero issues with her gps using Apple maps or Waze as of recently which I’ve also switched to. but I’ve tried multiple apps, all of them having the same issue which means is phone related not app related... most times after a privacy/location services reset things start working but not every time...

It’s getting tiring apple... I’ve been as loyal as a dog to Apple since the original iMac came out and I literally said the droid word the other day thinking of ways to remedy this issue.... I would really not like to have to change my phone preference that’s been the same since Verizon began selling iPhones (iPhone 4)...

I don’t know exactly what the problem is but it started on my 6 when iOS 11 came out and has still be driving me to the point of almost flinging a 256gb iPhone X out of my car window with maniacal cheer, so I’m gonna say it’s not hardware and more like an issue with the new iOS that they aren’t taking serious or something.... I’m running Verizon wireless in a metro area so I can’t see bad service patches being an issue... matter of fact the building I live in has a Verizon cell tower atop of it and while I’m here, sometimes I’ll open the app before I drive off to punch in directions and it’s showing me about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away out in the middle of new haven harbor or if it does show me in my current location; I’ll drive off and it shows me still home while I’m actually 20+ miles away.

I know Apple says it’s a non-issue with no reports but a google search will tell you otherwise...

I know resetting services and factory resets are becoming standard protocol but having to do these things regularly is beginning to bother me. I could see if i had to do these things every so often but 2-3 times a week on a “cutting edge tech” phone is ******* me off....

iPhone X faulty GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.