Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secure boot disables trim on external drives

I have external SSD's, and have enabled trim for them using the “Trimforce enable” Command. However, if the iMac Pro's Secure Boot is set to Full or Medium, Trim is indicated as "No" in System Information. If Secure Boot is at No Security, Trim works as expected. I had a conversation (via chat) with an Apple Support representative, who reported this is intentional behavior. This requires the user to choose between Secure boot and Trim. I’ve submitted feedback to Apple, requesting that Secure boot allow for Trim on external drives. If this is of interest to you, please do the same.

Posted on Jan 12, 2018 10:55 PM

6 replies

Jan 13, 2018 2:40 PM in response to masafumi

I have a Promise Pegasus2 R6 configured as a RAID 5 and an OWC Thunderbolt 4. Both are Thunderbolt 2 devices, so I use Apple’s Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter to connect the enclosures to the iMac Pro. The computer starts up fine from the OWC enclosure; the Pegasus2 does not have a system installed on it. Note that the iMac Pro’s default setting for Startup Security is to not allow booting from external drives, so you’ll need to change that in the Startup Security Utility.

Feb 20, 2018 8:47 AM in response to dmbrownaa

I have a workaround for the issue of Secure Boot disabling Trim on external drives. I'm posting it in case it helps someone else. In order to have Trim enabled on external SSD's when running with Secure Boot enabled, the SSD's need to be unmounted when starting up the computer. When the SSD's are subsequently mounted, Trim will be enabled.

I discovered this after reading about a similar issue with Secure Boot and SoftRAID drivers (which, for clarity, I do not have installed.) In that case, SoftRAID volumes need to be mounted after booting up (when Secure Boot is enabled), in order for the latest drivers to be used. SoftRAID explained that if macOS detects SoftRAID volumes at boot time, it will load the default SoftRAID drivers included with macOS, i.e. those "approved" by Secure Boot, which are not the most current drivers. By mounting SoftRAID volumes after booting up, macOS loads drivers at that time, using the most current versions installed on the computer.

I thought a similar approach might be used for Trim. It seems likely that whatever Trim-related ktext is loaded at Secure Boot is not the one effected by the Trimforce command, but that by having no SSD's mounted at boot time, the needed ktext is not loaded until the SSD mounts after boot and, in that case, macOS loads the one effected by Trimforce.

Secure boot disables trim on external drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.