Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revit and AutoCAD on Parallels

I have become very frustrated trying to set up and run Revit and AutoCAD ( 2018) on my iMac ( Retina 5K, 27-inch, late 2015, 3,2 GHz intel Core i5, 8GB Memory) using Parallels.

Won't even mention all the kinks and problems during set-up and installation, now I should have those programs properly installed.

But both programs, especially Revit, run so sluggish that it is virtually impossible to draw anything. One simple command takes forever to happen, zooming in 3D makes the whole program freeze. Last time I got some kind of pop-up that told me that Revit needed more working memory capacity than what my computer had to offer.

Is there anybody who is successfully using Revit this way?

Should I try to use Bootcamp instead?

And how, is it necessary to first de-install Parallels?

It would be nice to have both systems running at the same time, but not like this...😕

Thanks for your input!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jan 13, 2018 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2018 2:45 PM

If you install Windows under Parallels, it is installed on a virtual disk, which Bootcamp/Windows has no access to. Either you can clone the virtual disk to a physical Bootcamp partition using tools like Winclone, or you can install a new copy of Windows under Bootcamp and then re-install all your applications.

I suggest you create a clean installation of Windows using Bootcamp. You may have to migrate licenses from the virtual hardware to the physical BC/Windows installation.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2018 2:45 PM in response to katrilli

If you install Windows under Parallels, it is installed on a virtual disk, which Bootcamp/Windows has no access to. Either you can clone the virtual disk to a physical Bootcamp partition using tools like Winclone, or you can install a new copy of Windows under Bootcamp and then re-install all your applications.

I suggest you create a clean installation of Windows using Bootcamp. You may have to migrate licenses from the virtual hardware to the physical BC/Windows installation.

Jan 13, 2018 12:15 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for this valuable information!

So if I understand right, no 3D Program will run well on Parallels?

I wish I'd known earlier, would have saved me quite some money and trouble.

Will try Bootcamp.

Do you know, if I need to de- and later reinstall Revit and AutoCAD?

Does Bootcamp have access to those installed in the VM in Parallels?

Thanks for all help!

Revit and AutoCAD on Parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.