Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 plus still Slow after new battery

My iPhone 6 plus is Still Slow even after installing a new battery at the Apple Store.

So I'm calling BULL! on their remedy.

This is just Apple trying to calm their irate customers.

Everyone knew they were slowing the phones down. But now there's hard proof and Apple got caught with their pants down and had to release some sort of answer that sounded official.

We all know it's a bogus excuse but we just have to deal.

But I will certainly never be buying another iPhone.

Between loosing the headphone jack (Which I MUST have) and their orchestrated/planned obsolescence, I have had it. I will own this phone till it either dies or I get so frustrated by it's snail speed that I slam it on the ground... then I'm going elsewhere.

Here is some history with my current iPhone. And before anyone comments and says to do this or that. Trust me... I've done it already. It's still slow as a Snail with a limp.

I stayed with iOS 9 because if I upgraded, my iPhone could no longer connect to my legacy Mac Pro OS X 10.7.5.

iPhone continued to run at the speed of light.

However, I was able to patch my Mac Pro and upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.6. Thus allowing my iPhone to communicate with my Mac Pro if I upgraded to the current iOS.

My iPhone battery was now 3 years old and only had less than 50% of it's original charge capacity. So I opted to have the battery replaced rather than get a new phone. ($79 vs $900).

Once the battery was replaced and my iPhone was finally running the most current iOS, my iPhone went immediately from running like "The Flash" to barely hobbling with a limp.

It is now take me nearly 20 seconds just to open the camera app from the lock screen.

And going through Photos App to email or text a photo? Forget it. Between searching for a contact and attaching the photo. I'm looking at a solid 45 seconds to a minute.

I used to use my iPhone camera for work. Now I carry a separate Sony Cybershot to take pictures because my iPhone is essentially unusable in the fast paced way that I need to take pictures and immediately email them out.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.2.2, Battery replaced 8/2017

Posted on Jan 13, 2018 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 3:24 PM

I have the same issue although with a third party battery on an iPhone 6s Plus the bench mark scores are equivalent of an iPhone 6.

What I would like to know is disabling the throttling through a plist edit.

58 replies

Jan 18, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Event Video Guy

I can echo your experience. So frustrating. All over the news and internet there's the same message, a new battery = improved performance. WRONG! My iPhone 6+ has a brand new OEM battery. The end result is great battery life and the exact same horrible performance (maybe even worse): I still can't use Siri, apps lag to the point of being useless, can't play any CPU intensive games, camera lags and crashes, takes about 45 seconds for music to start playing and the keyboard is so laggy I can finish entire text messages before the first keystroke is registered. I've reformatted the phone so many times that I'm tempted to do a factory refresh and not upgrade the iOS and use whatever apps are still compatible with whatever version of iOS that is.

I paid $1,400 CAD when I bought my phone a few years back and Apple has nearly completed its transformation into a paper weight. I will be switching to Android and I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3GS. Well done Apple!

Jan 19, 2018 4:20 PM in response to trhdtrrtj

All, I just had an interesting realization. I read an article that suggested that if your phone is below 81% battery the performance will be significantly decreased. I downloaded a free iphone benchmark app and battery life and here are my findings:

As a starting benchmark per the benchmark site, see link below, the avg. PassMark rating for an iPhone 6 Plus is 4,569 (keep in mind the most popular iOS was 8.1 that helped generate this avg.) Here are my scores with the corresponding battery life:

Battery: 63% Charging iPhone while running testing: Yes PassMark: 1,644

Battery: 69% Charging iPhone while running testing: Yes PassMark: 1,865

Battery: 79% Charging iPhone while running testing: Yes PassMark: 1,908

Battery: 91% Charging iPhone while running testing: Yes PassMark: 2,815

Battery: 100% Charging iPhone while running testing: Yes PassMark: 2,625

I wasn't expecting lower performance at 100% vs 91% so I unplugged and kept testing:

Battery: 100% Charging iPhone while running testing: No PassMark: 3,063

Battery: 98% Charging iPhone while running testing: No PassMark: 2,963

Battery: 97% Charging iPhone while running testing: No PassMark: 2,949

The range in performance is dramatic; 1,644 to 3,063 is around 86% increase in PassMark score and can be considered an 86% increase in performance. Real world result, my phone was working almost normally again. Siri worked for the first time in a long time with limited lag.

Conclusion: To have about 2/3rds the performance of your iPhone 6 plus the day you got it you need to keep your battery nearly fully charged and running on battery rather than being charged. Ridiculous considering I have a brand new battery so I suspect that Apple is blindly slowing down older phones regardless of battery health. If anyone has an original battery please do these tests and report back - I wish I had done a before and after to compare.

Cheers!

Link:

PassMark iOS, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad Benchmark for Apple iPhone 6 Plus

Jan 20, 2018 8:37 AM in response to Event Video Guy

My iPhone 6 Plus is still dog slow after replacing with brand new battery, and reinstalled fresh iOS 11.x (newest version). Siri runs so slow it’s unusable- huge lags. My apps all launch really slow, my camera app is almost unusable lags too much takes a long time to take a picture. My Safari runs slow and hangs as well forcing me to quit and relaunch Safari to gain control again- problem is the search field cannot be used- get’s stuck cannot type to it. Also, all the features of the iOS are slow, even the rotating which get’s graphics glitches when rotating and sometimes lags 5 seconds before rotating, swiping to bring up control panels and widgets panels is do slow too and causes a lot of failed swipes. I replaced my battery with before I originally installed iOS 11, and all this happened. This is more than just the software reacting to a low battery. My battery was never low. And, I’ve tried reinstalling several times from a wiped out flash drive, basically doing a full recovery 2 times and it didn’t help. Still slow. Frustrated, and feel like I’ve been lied to.

Jan 20, 2018 8:27 PM in response to trhdtrrtj

trhdtrrtj wrote:

All, I just had an interesting realization. I read an article that suggested that if your phone is below 81% battery the performance will be significantly decreased. I downloaded a free iphone benchmark app and battery life and here are my findings:

As a starting benchmark per the benchmark site, see link below, the avg. PassMark rating for an iPhone 6 Plus is 4,569 (keep in mind the most popular iOS was 8.1 that helped generate this avg.) Here are my scores with the corresponding battery life:

Battery: 63% Charging iPhone while running testing: Yes PassMark: 1,644

I just ran the same test. FYI here is the app.

PerformanceTest Mobile on the App Store

(For accuracy sake, the average PassMark for the iPhone 6 Plus is currently 4,566)

My 5 month old battery is currently 93% of it’s maximum rated capacity (I have attached an image showing this test).

The battery is rated at: 2,915 mAh.

It currently holds: 2,700 mAh

User uploaded file

My Benchmark Test Results:

Battery at 71% - Unplugged - PassMark Result: 3,561

That is 78% of the current average PassMark grade... With a 5 month old battery.

I have attached the results to this message for you to view.

I'm going to keep testing as the battery runs down and post the results at the end.

I have posted screenshots of my test results.

I don't know how good these numbers are.

Note:

The individual tests seem incorrect based on the average benchmarks in their database. I was getting some weird numbers.

Such as 495% Memory performance.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 20, 2018 8:57 AM in response to Event Video Guy

I'been had an iPhone 6 from new, shortly after release; the last reasonably priced iPhone. A loyal customer of a decade. On the latest iOS, you type something in Safari and it only appears a few seconds later. It's laggy and slow, but the hardware has never changed from when it was lightning fast, only the software. The phone is almost unusable. I'd like to go back to iOS 8 which worked pretty well. Just give me the latest security updates, no battery saving rubbish Or other interference. If Apple don't start allowing downgrades of iOS pretty soon, this is for sure the last one I'll ever buy/own. My friends are furious too.

Jan 20, 2018 12:20 PM in response to Philly_Phan

They ran their battery of tests and assured me that it runs as it should.

They basically read from their memorized scripts for all possible answers. Which I'm 100% sure they do because when I inquired at the Online help, I was given the EXACT same verbiage.

I gave them all the info I have given here. They said that they saw no problems with it.

Since...

I've completely wiped my phone and started from a clean slate. I did not pull in the backup. The phone still crawls along like a senior citizen.

Jan 22, 2018 9:04 AM in response to Event Video Guy

Thanks for sharing. I'm re-running the tests now and I'm getting inconsistent performance ratings, you may be right about the quality of the benchmark application.

Regardless of performance testing, my real world experience has been that my phone is only usable if my battery charge is between roughly 85% to 100%, if it drops below 85% it becomes frustratingly laggy and unusable. I'm trying to make it to the next iOS update which I've been made to believe will allow users to turn off the feature that slows down "old" phones. I don't have high hopes for this issue to be resolved with the next iOS update but do have hopes that all the class action lawsuits will motivate Apple to resolve it soon.

Jan 29, 2018 3:04 AM in response to Event Video Guy

Same here. I've done everything. I don't believe this is anything to do with the CPU slowdown/shutdown issue (my Geekbench results are within the expected rage for the iPhone 6), it's to do with iOS 11 being a buggy ton of cr*p. I've never had these problems on iOS 10 or any previous version of iOS on my iPhone 6. I've never been so close to smashing my iPhone it's so destroyed by this garbage update. Worst iOS I have *ever* installed!

Jan 29, 2018 5:31 PM in response to clmu

clmu wrote:

I have had a very similar experience. New battery in my iPhone6 made no observable difference in lag and start up times. This is very frustrating. I have all the latest updates so can't blame anything on old software.

All I can think of is that SSD read speeds inevitably slow down over time. It's unavoidable because flash memory is inherently subject to errors as the "floating gate" breaks down from repeated erasing. Once errors creep in, the SSD controller needs to use error correction to determine the correct data, and that takes time.

Could also be due to a performance hit from the latest iOS updates. Have you tried one of the benchmarks like Geekbench? I bought Geekbench 3 (I think 99 cents) and can use that to check against reference scores. It also is accessible through all my iOS devices on the same Apple ID. As a benchmark it's really closely testing the CPU and SSD.

iPhone 6 plus still Slow after new battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.