Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i turn on iCloud Photos back on after restore?

I had a fresh backup of my High Sierra Photo Library which I restored to a fresh install of MacOS I just restored the library, not the entire Time machine backup

When I launched Photos it repaired the library and then seemed to open fine. However I cannot turn iCloud Photo Library On. All the photos are already in iCloud. When I try to turn it on it complains that I do not have enough space. I say next and it then says it might stop updating if there is not enough space. I say continue and then it flips off the checkbox. How do I get it to stay on and realize that the library it wants to upload is already on iCloud?

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 1:50 AM

How do I get it to stay on and realize that the library it wants to upload is already on iCloud?

No, whenever there is the least doubt that the library you are trying to enable for iCloud may changed slightly, Photos will upload the complete library to compare it to iCloud, after restoring from a backup or moving the library to a different drive, or after repairing the library, even after turning iCloud Photo Library off and on again (Why is iCloud uploading my entire iCloud Photo library again after I moved its location?). The restored library from a backup may contain photos that already have been deleted from iCloud, or may have different edits and metadata applied. When Photos estimates the amount of iCloud storage needed for the additional upload, it will estimate the required storage using the worst case assumption that all photos are different.

You have now two options:

• Or create a new, empty Photos Library and download the library from iCloud to your Mac. This will not require additional cloud storage, since the library is empty. This will work, if you did not import any new photos since the last sync with iCloud.

I prefer to download the the library from iCloud to a new, empty library instead of uploading the restored library. This method cannot restore the projects, but you can save your projects by keeping a copy of your current library on a external drive. Downloading to an empty library has the added advantage that it will be faster than uploading and merging into the existing library, and it will rebuild your library. my library has 50000 photos and videos. When I upload it again, it needs roughly ten days for merging into the iCloud library. When I only download to the empty library, downloading an optimized version will be done in half a day, and downloading all originals as well will be done in five days. To create a new, empty library launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. Keep holding down the key until the library chooser panel appears.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2018 1:50 AM in response to Blair Lipkind

How do I get it to stay on and realize that the library it wants to upload is already on iCloud?

No, whenever there is the least doubt that the library you are trying to enable for iCloud may changed slightly, Photos will upload the complete library to compare it to iCloud, after restoring from a backup or moving the library to a different drive, or after repairing the library, even after turning iCloud Photo Library off and on again (Why is iCloud uploading my entire iCloud Photo library again after I moved its location?). The restored library from a backup may contain photos that already have been deleted from iCloud, or may have different edits and metadata applied. When Photos estimates the amount of iCloud storage needed for the additional upload, it will estimate the required storage using the worst case assumption that all photos are different.

You have now two options:

• Or create a new, empty Photos Library and download the library from iCloud to your Mac. This will not require additional cloud storage, since the library is empty. This will work, if you did not import any new photos since the last sync with iCloud.

I prefer to download the the library from iCloud to a new, empty library instead of uploading the restored library. This method cannot restore the projects, but you can save your projects by keeping a copy of your current library on a external drive. Downloading to an empty library has the added advantage that it will be faster than uploading and merging into the existing library, and it will rebuild your library. my library has 50000 photos and videos. When I upload it again, it needs roughly ten days for merging into the iCloud library. When I only download to the empty library, downloading an optimized version will be done in half a day, and downloading all originals as well will be done in five days. To create a new, empty library launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. Keep holding down the key until the library chooser panel appears.

Jan 14, 2018 8:53 AM in response to léonie

Thanks léonie,

I am mostly concerned with losing

• Smart Albums
  • Names and faces in the People album
  • Keywords

But apparently they sync now according to the documentation you linked to, so maybe I will try rebuilding the library from iCloud.

It still seems like a bug if the message is "You may run out of iCloud storage by uploading this library." but won't let you try anyway and hope for the sync to progressively reconcile.

Jan 14, 2018 10:06 AM in response to Blair Lipkind

It still seems like a bug if the message is "You may run out of iCloud storage by uploading this library." but won't let you try anyway and hope for the sync to progressively reconcile.

Apple seems to be very cautious. If you try and the library will not fit into the available storage, you will be unable to use any iCloud services at all and it will be difficult to recover from that situation.

Jan 16, 2018 12:12 PM in response to léonie

Well, restoring from iCloud Photos mostly worked. But not totally. There seem to be some big differences in the people albums.

For instance, one person went from 3,943 photos in the original library to 3,010 photos in the restored library. To make matters weirder, my iOS 11 device has 3,373 photos for the same person.

I waited for the photo analysis to complete before looking at the albums. Given that I still have the original library in a backup, is there a sensible way to compare?

Thanks.

how do i turn on iCloud Photos back on after restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.