Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my bookmarks not syncing to my el capitan MacBook?

Syncing fine between my iPhone and high sierra iMac. But mont my el capitan MacBook.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Display Samsung UN49KS8000FXZA

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 11:15 AM

I have been having issues with Bookmarks syncing since iOS 11 and High Sierra was released. I have been working with AppleCare ever since on an ongoing ticket. They just got my syncing issues fixed few weeks ago so that my Bookmarks are in the same order across all my devices, but I let them know that my El Capitan Macbook was not receiving bookmark updates at all. They just called me to let me know of the results of their investigation.

High Sierra and iOS 11 updates/upgrades the bookmarks from the old DAV protocol to the new iCloud Sync protocol. When you upgrade any of your devices to the new OS, your bookmarks are upgraded to the new protocol and it makes them no longer compatible with the old protocol. Since El Capitan is only compatible with the old DAV protocol, iCloud Safari sync is basically dead after you have updated other devices to iOS 11 and/or High Sierra.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2018 11:15 AM in response to bdk414

I have been having issues with Bookmarks syncing since iOS 11 and High Sierra was released. I have been working with AppleCare ever since on an ongoing ticket. They just got my syncing issues fixed few weeks ago so that my Bookmarks are in the same order across all my devices, but I let them know that my El Capitan Macbook was not receiving bookmark updates at all. They just called me to let me know of the results of their investigation.

High Sierra and iOS 11 updates/upgrades the bookmarks from the old DAV protocol to the new iCloud Sync protocol. When you upgrade any of your devices to the new OS, your bookmarks are upgraded to the new protocol and it makes them no longer compatible with the old protocol. Since El Capitan is only compatible with the old DAV protocol, iCloud Safari sync is basically dead after you have updated other devices to iOS 11 and/or High Sierra.

Jan 15, 2018 12:51 PM in response to bdk414

Hello bdk414!

Thank for using the Apple Support Communities! I see from your post that you are trying to get your MacBook to sync your bookmarks. Have your bookmarks on all of your devices is very convenient and I want you to be able to have access to them everywhere that is possible.

Take a look at this great resource called Get help using iCloud Bookmarks and Reading List . Take a look at all of the steps and make sure your MacBook is setup properly so that everything can sync.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Kindest Regards

Jan 17, 2018 5:28 AM in response to brenden dv

Thanks for your response but none of the trouble shooting in there seems to have fixed the issue. Its perplexing. The only thing that stand out to me is that when I unregister my MacBook and then reregister it with iCloud it requires me to enter the password for that machine under it's old name. As far as I can tell most all other iCloud services are working except for the bookmark syncing on that machine.

One other anomaly is that sometimes when I turn off safari in iCloud on that machine while troubleshooting it displays "setting up" with a little rotating gear. Why it would say "setting up" when im turning it off is odd.

Feb 22, 2018 10:45 AM in response to bdk414

I believe I have the same issue as you as well on my El Capitan MacBook Pro. All iCloud services appear to be working except for bookmark syncing. In fact, even Safari's history syncing works fine.

Similarly, when I turn off Safari in iCloud on my El Capitan MacBook Pro, it displays "setting up" with a little rotating gear as well.

I've tried deleting all of the bookmarks on my iPhone and MacBook Pro, and then restoring by reimporting them on my MacBook Pro, but that did not work.

Were you ever able to find a solution to your issue?

May 4, 2018 12:15 PM in response to bdk414

Same here. Syncing fine on all High Sierra, iOS and Windows 10 devices. But not on the one machine I have that has El Capitan and can't be upgraded any further.

Thank goodness for your post. Hasn't solved my problem, but at least I now know it is most likely not me... I had reset all my bookmark, restored the Mac, even did a clean install combined with a complete reset of all iCloud bookmarks. And still, when i add bookmarks again they sync through all devices - but not the El Capitan iMac. I thought I was going crazy...

I also observed that everything else syncs just fine - including iCloud drive, Photos - and as the OP mentioned even the Safari history. Just not bookmarks or reading lists.

Will now switch off iCloud bookmarks on that machine and try a 3rd party as a workaround.

Why are my bookmarks not syncing to my el capitan MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.