Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clear 90GB of Other Storage on my MacBook?

Hello! I have a real problem on my macbook, and that problem is that all the other storage on my mac takes up 3x as much space as everything else combined, with exactly 89.5 GB taken up. This has been interfering with my YouTube channel and a little with school. In fact, I can't even update my computer! I looked up online how to clear it up, and went to ~/Library/caches and deleted some files, but all that did was delete that half a gig. If someone can help me out some other way that would be AMAZING!User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 10:02 AM

What if Other were all your files? Want to get rid of them? Other is just a category used when the algorithm can't figure out where the file should go.

Files That Make Up the 'Other' Storage Category, and How to Remove Them

What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?

OS X- What is "other" space in About This Mac? - Apple Support

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  6. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  7. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  8. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 10:02 AM in response to AP64

What if Other were all your files? Want to get rid of them? Other is just a category used when the algorithm can't figure out where the file should go.

Files That Make Up the 'Other' Storage Category, and How to Remove Them

What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?

OS X- What is "other" space in About This Mac? - Apple Support

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  6. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  7. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  8. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Jan 14, 2018 2:26 PM in response to AP64

That is an unreliable indicator you shouldn't bother using. Please see What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac? and OS X- What is "other" space in About This Mac? - Apple Support.

Get Correct Storage Information

Do not use the information from the Storage section of the About This Mac dialog. Ignore the Storage information as it is typically wrong. To find out the correct information for any disk: Select a Desktop disk icon. Press Command-I to open the Get Info window and look at the topmost panel displayed. You will find the disk information displayed for Capacity, Available, and Used. If you have more than one disk/partition then repeat for each one on your Desktop.

How do I clear 90GB of Other Storage on my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.