You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Partitions

I just added Windows 10 to my Macbook Pro, High Sierra, 10.13. Please explain which partition contains Windows 10. Is it the smallest one, the Boot Camp one? Thanks so much!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.2.2, N/A

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 3:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 3:30 PM

It is not large enough for Windows and installed programs and created data. You need at least 100GB. I recommend a minimum 256GB partition for Windows. If you were going out to buy a Windows computer would you buy one having only a 37GB disc or even one having a 100GB disk?

8 replies

Jan 14, 2018 3:39 PM in response to spaz5752112

If you are going to resize the partition do not use Disk Utility. Use Boot Camp Assistant to remove Windows and the partition then start over with Boot Camp Assistant to redo Windows this time selecting a larger Boot Camp partition.

I would do it before running into problems, which you will do with such a small partition. Your total disk size is not very large to begin with so you could try using half for Windows and half for Mac.

Jan 15, 2018 4:11 AM in response to spaz5752112

=Something went wrong after expanding volume size of partition and now I no longer have Windows on my Mac. I have an enlarged partition and an unending warning in BootCamp that states: The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows. Please help with detailed next steps.

Jan 15, 2018 5:04 AM in response to spaz5752112

When I started this thread, my Apple Macbook Pro was working beautifully. I was advised to increase its gbs. Upon attempting to increase the gb capacity of my Windows, I have now lost both Windows and Bootcamp. My partitions seem off. My computer still works, but I'd like to bring back Bootcamp and Windows. Please help me to get Boot Camp functioning. Thank you.

Jan 15, 2018 8:07 AM in response to spaz5752112

spaz5752112 wrote:

=Something went wrong after expanding volume size of partition and now I no longer have Windows on my Mac. I have an enlarged partition and an unending warning in BootCamp that states: The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows. Please help with detailed next steps.

BobTheFisherman mentioned removing and re-installing Windows to change the size. If you used any other method, you created a new issue. I will look at your other discussion.

Boot Camp Partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.