Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Apple removed Christian Holidays from iCal?

I'm looking for Easter Sunday on my calendar and it's not there. I am subscribed to the US Holidays calendar.
I can see easy checkbox options to add Chinese, Hebrew and Islamic holidays but not Christian holidays? Is Apple anti-Christian? As a side note... Easter is still included as a US Holiday on the Microsoft calendar. You've got "Juneteenth" but no Easter? Really?

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 11:52 AM

Apple...Seriously...this decision of yours to remove Easter from iCal AND not have an alternate calendar for Christian and Jewish holidays is a deal breaker. My wife and I just bought the iPhone X and we bought 2 iPhone 8 plus devices for our children. Please do not let this issue come between us.

23 replies

Jan 14, 2018 11:33 PM in response to Bobcat2261

Giving example for Gmail account - Sign in with google calendar by entering the gmail address and password , click on settings then again click on browse calendars of interest check the box for christian holidays in the right of the calendar window ( ie is opened on the desktop ) .Simultaneously open apple calendar application , take cursor on top menu bar > click on refresh ( let the small circle stop rotating ) , the Christian Holiday Calendar will be added .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2018 6:48 AM in response to jbow52

If you feel anyone is forcing diversity on you and you would like to make a case of it there are other forums on the internet that would provide you with a platform that is tantamount to the soapbox you appear to be vying for here. However; this not the purpose of this forum and you agreed to that when you signed up to post here. Continual pursuing this agenda here detracts from assisting other users who have questions related to Apple products and services, and not policies and decisions.

iCloud: Create a calendar in iCloud

Feb 19, 2018 12:43 PM in response to malidcurrington

Looks like this is an la carte option for individuals to add if they so choose by subscribing online to a calendar.

So, I added a Christian holiday iCal calendar from Calendarlabs.com website to my MacBook that includes Easter.

(1) I opened Calendar on my MacBook Pro

(2) I went to this url to get a Christian holiday calendar:

https://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar/religious/christian-holidays-41/

(3) I selected the "SUBSCRIBE" button it automatically opens a text box in Apple iCal calendar and fills in the url in iCal. Then just click the subscribe button from within iCal.

This also updated my iPhone Calendar.

You will also see the same option appear if you open Apple iCal Calendar and select File > New Calendar Subscription

Maybe this is not desirable for everyone but it's the next best option for me.

Feb 20, 2018 9:31 AM in response to malidcurrington

malidcurrington wrote:

Apple...Seriously...this decision of yours to remove Easter from iCal AND not have an alternate calendar for Christian and Jewish holidays is a deal breaker. My wife and I just bought the iPhone X and we bought 2 iPhone 8 plus devices for our children. Please do not let this issue come between us.

You can choose to use the calendar that is appropriate to your faith, whatever it may be. A tiny effort is indeed required but its for your faith.

Mar 16, 2018 5:45 AM in response to Bobcat2261

I downloaded the iCal Christian and Jewish calendars. However they overpopulated my calendar with Catholic and Jewish Holidays I’ve never heard of and have no interest in. I think the best answer is to manually add the Christian holidays that you want (U.S. Holidays is absurdly overpopulated too, I have it disabled).

The workaround for me is to manually add Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Passover, Pentecost, tabernacles, etc. each year.

I won’t forget the 4th of July. Memorial Day just sort of happens. I don’t observe Labor Day.

I know I’ll have to check on a few every year but to do that I just enable the Christian, U.S., and Jewish calendars and check the dates for the year. It only takes a few minutes because there aren’t that many I’m interested in. Minor holidays like Presidents Day etc come and go. The mail don’t run and the bank isn’t open... big deal.

Maybe someone will make a Calendar APP where you can delete the holidays you don’t care about and keep the ones you do. How hard could that be? They are not going to force me to care about things I don’t care about. If you’re Catholic there are several to choose from. If you’re Protestant there is nothing. If you want the Biblical Jewish festivals only, you’re out of luck.

Manually is your friend until they make iCal tweakable for your personal use instead of trying to use its to force diversity on you and me. Diversity seems to be the reason for this mess. I’m fine with diversity as long as you do what you want and let me do what I want.

Mar 16, 2018 6:53 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Also I may not be able to respond coherently to questions this week and next as I plan to drink my age is .oz's of whisky for St. Pattys day and get smashed on Purim as it is commanded by G-d.

Glad iCal will remind me when to get my game on, and Siri will be the one who knows where I live when the bartender lovingly throws my drunk monkey@$$ in the back of the cab.
If you're gonna drink, don't drive!

Thank you Apple 😍

Apr 29, 2018 2:05 PM in response to Bravo56

I also went there. I deleted the US Holidays I already had on my iMac. I went to the iCal listing, and clicked on US Holidays and lo and behold, there it is! I also downloaded the Christian calendar and both were easily added to my iCal. I wasn't interested in the one that automatically came with my upgrade. It had all religions and other strange listings. So I deleted the original us calendar. Don't keep both. Now it's great. And yes Easter and others are there.

Has Apple removed Christian Holidays from iCal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.