Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with High Sierra update

I have an IMac late 2013. I previously had OSX10.9.5 and updated to High Sierra. When I click on the Apple menu, it still shows me as having OSX10.9.5. When I go to High Sierra app, it says "already installed". However, High Sierra is obviously not operating on my IMac.

I tried to open a writing program which needs 10.12 plus and won't open because I am still on OSX10.9.5. Can I just uninstall High Sierra and upgrade to something else which will give me MacOS10.12? Maybe I don't have enough storage or something for High Sierra?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 2:08 AM

12 replies

Jan 15, 2018 6:51 AM in response to chrissymaroochy

Downloaded, but not installed yet?

"Get High Sierra as an automatic download

If you're using OS X El Capitan v10.11.5 or later, High Sierra conveniently downloads in the background, making it even easier to upgrade your Mac. When the download has completed, you receive a notification indicating that High Sierra is ready to be installed. Click Install in the notification to get started.

If you want to install High Sierra later, just dismiss the notification. Install it at any time by opening the file named Install macOS High Sierra from your Applications folder, Launchpad, or Spotlight. Or delete the installer by dragging it to the Trash. You can always get it again from the App Store."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

Jan 19, 2018 1:02 AM in response to chrissymaroochy

Not in the Applications folder. Print these instructions:

-----

Do following to clear the mess:

shutdown the mac,

start the mac while holding the CMD and R key,

it will start sloooow,

when asked type in your account password,

then you will see a menu where you choose "install OS",

this will download and install your actual OS (ElCapitan),

when all is done choose 'restart' from the apple menu (left upper corner),

then it will restart normal.

------

This re-install does not touch your user data and settings.

Now you should be able to download and install HighSierra, but rethink what I said before:

"But before you install, research whether all your applications are compatible with HighSierra! and also contemplate that if you have a SSD as StartupDisk it will be converted to APFS, which means that a "return" to an earlier OS is very difficult and then you need a very complete backup"

If you have any doubts do not start anything to install HighSierra:

There is a method to install Sierra (10.12.6) instead:

Use this link to open the macOS Sierra page on the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12

download and install it.

Lex

Jan 20, 2018 12:29 AM in response to chrissymaroochy

When you have Mountain Lion running now, and all is well, I propose to follow my recommendation to install Sierra !!

Not HighSierra:

""

There is a method to install Sierra (10.12.6) instead:

Use this link to open the macOS Sierra page on the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12

download and install it.

""

Make a copy first of the downloaded Sierra before you start the installation, put it on a backup disk and disconnect that when done.

It does not really matter whether there is a HighSierra installer anywhere on your disk, as long it is not in the Applications folder, but I recommend to search for it and delete it if you find it, because it will be outdated very soon, since we expect still more updates of highSierra.

Disconnect all external disks when you are doing all this and while installing Sierra.

After installing Sierra you can take a rest and see whether everything is "ready" for HighSierra.

Jan 16, 2018 4:08 AM in response to chrissymaroochy

Did you download High Sierra via the App Store, if so an d the download has been successful it should start the install automatically, but it might have got interrupted, Look in your Applications folder for an item called Install macOS High Sierra.app. If you find it check that is 5.12GBs that would indicate it is the full installer, now make a copy of it on an external drive or USB stick or somewhere else on your mac. This is handy to keep in case you need to reinstall the OS or want to install High Sierra on other macs you may have. The original one in the applications folder gets deleted once you install it.

Jan 16, 2018 4:17 AM in response to chrissymaroochy

"It says it is installed but won't open": if it is in the Applications folder it is NOT installed: it removes the install file automatically when the install is complete.

So the install file is obviously damaged or corrupted. You should delete the install file from the Applications folder, then empty the Trash bin, and then redownload HighSierra from the Appstore !!.

But before you install, research whether all your applications are compatible with HighSierra! and also contemplate that if you have a SSD as StartupDisk it will be converted to APFS, which means that a "return" to an earlier OS is very difficult and then you need a very complete backup.

Jan 18, 2018 3:45 PM in response to Lexiepex

It is not in the Applications folder. When I go to High Sierra download the box inset shows "Installed". When I go to my Apple menu it shows I am still operating on 10.9.5. It is possible that it isn't operating because I don't have enough storage or something like that. I have a program that I use "Scrivener" which requires 10.12 or above. So I can't use the program now because I can't upgrade to 10.12 because I am "supposed" to be upgraded to High Sierra. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!!

Jan 19, 2018 11:02 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

Firstly, thanks so much for trying to help me.

I did exactly as you said. All worked well and when I asked to reinstall OSX, it wanted to ONLY reinstall OS Mountain Lion. There was no other option. I selected yes, thinking I could update later, but it would not let me install OS Mountain Lion saying "you already have an updated version". I presume 10.9.5 is updated from Mountain Lion. I hope they don't mean High Sierra!!! Coz it ain't working!!!

Chrissy

Jan 19, 2018 11:35 PM in response to chrissymaroochy

Your mac must have come with Mountain Lion installed, 10.8.x and then it must have been upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.5.

If the App Store is noting that High Sierra is installed then it is picking up that there is a copy of the installer on your mac somewhere or on a connected disk.

Have you done a Spotlight search for Install macOS High Sierra.app? If you find it is it 5.21GBs, if so double- click to install it. If you do find it and it is not 5.21GBs then move it to the trash and empty it. Also look in Launchpad for an icon for install macOS, if you see that click and hold till it wiggles then click the 'x' to delete it.

Restart your mac, relaunch App Store can you now download High Sierra.

C'mon Chris its been 5 days now.

Problems with High Sierra update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.