Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rash from band

I recently received an Apple Watch as a gift. I set up and have been using most days for about a week. I do not wear at night. I have not used in or near water. Yesterday my wrist began itching. I noticed this morning the inside of my wrist is very red and has a rash so I am unable to put the watch on. I do have allergies which I am sure my husband did not think of when he purchased the watch. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Apple Watch Series 3, Gray watch band

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 1:48 AM

Hi

Some people can experience reactions to certain materials - such as nickel - that are in prolonged contact with their skin.

If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around or beneath your watch or band, Apple suggests that you remove your Apple Watch and consult a doctor / physician before wearing it again.

You may find that a different band, for example, better meets your needs. However, keep in mind that there is no model of Apple Watch that has no metal or nickel touching the skin; the magnets in all models of Apple Watch contain some nickel.

Skin reactions can be a result of various causes including:

• Allergies (eg to nickel).
  • Extended exposure to irritants (eg soap or sweat).
  • Environmental factors.
  • Wearing the band too tightly or too loosely.

More information, including tips from Apple:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2018 1:48 AM in response to C2B01

Hi

Some people can experience reactions to certain materials - such as nickel - that are in prolonged contact with their skin.

If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around or beneath your watch or band, Apple suggests that you remove your Apple Watch and consult a doctor / physician before wearing it again.

You may find that a different band, for example, better meets your needs. However, keep in mind that there is no model of Apple Watch that has no metal or nickel touching the skin; the magnets in all models of Apple Watch contain some nickel.

Skin reactions can be a result of various causes including:

• Allergies (eg to nickel).
  • Extended exposure to irritants (eg soap or sweat).
  • Environmental factors.
  • Wearing the band too tightly or too loosely.

More information, including tips from Apple:

Feb 7, 2018 4:21 AM in response to C2B01

I had a skin reaction to the band and the underside of the face similar to yours. My skin began to burn under the face after about 2 hours of wearing. When I removed it there was a very red and tender spot on my wrist in the shape of a circle. The band also caused a little discompfort. I have a terrible reaction to adhesives, so that is probably why. I was so unhappy and disappointed because I really like the watch, although I bought it mainly because I need a medical alert system with me and don't want to wear the around the neck alerts. Anyway, I want to share the way I solved the problem, and hope it works for you. First thing I did was buy a woven band, which is very light weight, comfortable, and cool on the wrist. The second thing I did was cut a small rectangle in the shape of the underside of the face, from " Glad Press n' Seal, and pressed it on. I wore the watch all day with it on and had no reactions whatever. I expected the wrap to come off at some point, but it never did. And, I was very surprised the watch charged beautifully without having to remove it. I would recommend changing the Press n' Wrap every few days for sanitary reasons. Maybe Apple will eventually come up with a more practical cover for those of us with this problem. I hope this helps you.

Feb 7, 2018 4:31 AM in response to patriciafromsebastian

patriciafromsebastian wrote:

.. The second thing I did was cut a small rectangle in the shape of the underside of the face, from " Glad Press n' Seal, and pressed it on. I wore the watch all day with it on and had no reactions whatever. I expected the wrap to come off at some point, but it never did. And, I was very surprised the watch charged beautifully without having to remove it. ..

When charging Apple Watch, nothing at all (not even a thin film) should be placed between the back of the watch and the head of the Magnetic Charging Cable.

More information:

Wearing Apple Watch - Apple Support

Cleaning and wearing Apple Watch - Apple Support

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Rash from band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.